• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for Good Fowling Piece

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wapaha

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello , I am new to the forum, thank you for allowing me to join. I need to locate a nice fowling piece, preferably percussion, preferably a down scaled one as it is for a 14 year old boy.
This is for a friend of mine and though I have done lots of black powder shooting and hunting , I really know nothing at all about smooth bore fowling pieces.
They need something to hunt turkeys with. It can be an original or reproduction, but if original it has to be in great working condition.
Any help, advice, links, tips etc very much appreciated. Thanks alot ! Bad Hand

I should add, it does not have to necessarily be a fowling piece, but a smoothbore shotgun might work as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be best? Thanks Bad Hand

I have a pedroseli from the 1970's in 12 gauge and it is a light, but solid gun. Well balanced and with a realative short stock. ( I added an extension to mine since I have longer than average arms.)But finding one will be costly. CVA made some nice twelve gauges and The T.C. new Englander had a smooth bore barrel available. :idunno:

great deal on a Miriku Brown Bess in the classified on this board.I know you asked for a percussion but those bess's go off very nice and its a pretty good price(wish I had the money)Once youve gone with a dependable flinter theres no looking back.And that bore will knock down a tom pretty good.

Not sure about how the laws apply for turkey hunting in your location, but have you considered a small bore rifle, such as a .32 or .36 caliber? Might be able to acquire one of these that would be a good fit for a youngster.

Thanks , I sort of thought so , but didnt want to miss out on anything due to terminology.
I may add , and I Will Pay Top Dollar (that is something you dont hear too often these days!) for the right gun, be it a nice original or nice repro as long as it is an efficient turkey killer. It does not have to be a 12 gauge either, 20 would be great as well. The boy it is for is 15 now so he should be able to shoulder most typically sized firearms OK. Thanks again all !

You might check out Mike Lange's (Mongrel) website. He specializes in "rugrat" guns for youngsters. His quality is top notch and his prices will probably beat Pedersoli. And you get a real custom gun, to boot.
mikelange.homestead.com/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Every now and again some real good ones come up on this link. www.fowlingguns.com Check it out,Mike won't mind.
If you want to shoot round ball also,you might want to keep it 20ga.(.62) or under. 20gauge is lots for birds. With a roundball all sorts of new doors will open for the lad. Get him a "mans" LOP because at 14 years old, he's only going to get bigger.
On the ALR site there is a nice new gun for sale made by E. Dillon. This is a real nice 20gauge(.62). I think it would be perfect for the young man. Take a peek.{Items for sale,page 2)
It's still there! 1800 clams! Not my LOP or I'd have bought it myself.

Hey Warhorse, Don't know if you would be interested but there you might try micksguns.com . He is in England if that matters.
jake2255

This gun is still there.I'd make him an offer. Seems the owner(Lee Slickers) is desperate to get out of "the game". I'd offer him 15. This is a real nice looking smoothy,Ste Etienne me thinks. It's a little short in pull for a tall gangly guy like me but would be an awesome gun for a growing boy.Wish it was longer in the pull. It'd be mine.

Leatherbelly said:
This gun is still there.I'd make him an offer. Seems the owner(Lee Slikkers) is desperate to get out of "the game". I'd offer him 15. This is a real nice looking smoothy,Ste Etienne me thinks. It's a little short in pull for a tall gangly guy like me but would be an awesome gun for a growing boy.Wish it was longer in the pull. It'd be mine.

sorry guys,still trying to figure this forum out.

Latest posts

Back