• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for scope mount

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone remember or have a scope mount that clamps to the barrel. Think it was called a Mag-mount or Magna-mount. Believe it had weaver style ring mounting. I have searched the net and catalogs and cannot find one.

:thanks:
Kevin

:sorry: if this ain't the place to ask. I'm wanting one for use during accuracy testing. Figure I could mount the scope without haveing to drill and tap any holes. Do my load testing with the scope for better aiming. Then remove the scope and mount when I have found the load that works best. I know I saw these a few years back. They clamp to the sides of octogon barrels. Were available for 1" and 15/16" barrels.

Dixie Gun Works has such an item available. Check:
www.dixiegunworks.com or if you have the current 2005
Dixie Catalog check page #236 i think that is what you are
looking for, but i might be wrong...Good luck and let me
know if that is what you are looking for.
snake-eyes :peace:

check on ebay and auction arms. there was one for about ten bucks a couple of weeks ago

Snakeeyes,
What Dixie has is pretty close to what I was looking for. The one they have is held by a magnet and set screws. The ones I'm thinking of had cross screws that clamped the mount to the barrel. If I can't find the other, I may have to look into the ones they have.
Thanks for taking time to look up,
Kevin

Lonewolf,
Thought B-Square may have been who made them also, but did not see them listed anywhere.
Thanks,
Kevin

Either ML or MB (one of those two) just recently wrote up an ad-hoc test where a scope was mounted temporarily. In the interest of determining a gun's accuracy, this is quite valid. Now, it's quite another matter to go to the field with a Leupold MK-IV 10x mil-dot fitted with an anti-cant bubble and mounted on a .62 caliber flintlock roundball jager rifle. That would raise eyebrows unless the muzzle cap had a laser sight fitted to it for night shooting. Mind you, after one shot, that laser may need wiping down to remove the fouling that accumulates around the muzzle. Do you think we can find a spot to add a Sure-fire flashlight to that jager? I'd like to make it into a 18th Century Crew-Served Weapon.

Arcticap just pm'd me an Ebay listing of what I'm looking for. However it was sold already. Here is link with picture of mount if anyone thinks they may know where to get one, Please let me know.

Ebay listing

:thanks:
Kevin

The Mag Mount was made by Progressive Sporting Goods, Inc.
6122 Middletown Road, P.O. Box 366, New Middletown, Ohio 44442-0366
They made a number of different scope mount models, but list 3 of this design for muzzle loaders. These are listed as the model MLMA (for 7/8" Octagon), model MLMB for (15/16" Octagon), MLMC (for 1" Octagon).
The mount is a 4 inch long piece of heavy duty aluminum with 4 Weaver cross slots on top that's designed to clamp on to the barrel flats by squeezing the mount tight with 3 strong allen head screws. There is also a hole in the top of the mount for an optional screw which can be obtained from the company to provide an additional attachment with the threaded screw hole from a gun's rear rifle sight once it's removed. I didn't request or use this screw.
I used the mount to attach a 1X pistol scope to the front end of my rifle barrel (a la "scout style") since this was the easiest 1X scope for me to obtain & the only legal magnification at the time. I attached my MLMA 7/8's mount to a 13/16" barrel by adding a thin layer of tape on my barrel and giving an extra tight turn of the screws and never encountered any movement whatsoever during it's temporary stay there using up to 90 grains Pyrodex P. It was a tight mount. The major drawback that I can recall was that with the smallish flats of my barrel, there wasn't quite enough of the side flats sticking up past the stock wood for the mount to maximize it's hold to without having to remove wood. The mount also may have been the equivalent to having rather high rings but it wasn't really an issue for me. I didn't want to do that for a temporary mount so again I chose scout style. The interior of the mount has a groove on both inside edges where it is designed to fit on to the flats of the barrel that are 3/8's inch deep, so your barrel should have that amount of it's flats higher than the stock wood to get a maximum holding surface. Again, this is where the optional top screw would provide additional attachment strength. It would be nice if you found this company to still be in business, they made a unique mount that absolutely fit my needs at the time. What brand of rifle are you trying to add a clamp mount too? The box has a picture of it mounted on what looks to be a TC rifle with plenty of room in the flats BTW.

Git'n mawdurn wit da skowt said-up, eh, Articap? Knawl yu gut meh dink'n dat I wanna ACOG lyke de Yu-ES AH-mee haz un der gunzs.

Wouldn't that blow some folks mind? An $850 plus ACOG (Advanced Combat Optical Sight) on a flintlock or matchlock? In lieu of a grenade launcher slung beneath the barrel, we can put a cross-bow. :crackup:

This happened longer ago than I have fingers, and I still have all 10 of 'em. I sure could have used a long sharp bayonet at least one time! ::

Back