• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for the first rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexblade

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, first post here, last month I have gone to the range with a friend of mine, and fired few balls, only one from a flinter, anyways I think I have got the flinter bug and I want to get into a hobby.
At first all I am looking at is target shooting at the range, with possibility to do some hunting down the line.

Would Lyman GPR (.54cal) be a good rifle to start with? Would you recommand another one instead?

Cheers

I have never fired a GP rifle but its more on what style you like and functionality of the piece, Ask yourself what kind of stock do you like (full, 3/4, half) then go on how much you would be willing to spend. If you want a custom or a production gun. Then go with the fit of the gun. Some nice production guns are by pedersoli, Traditions, T/C

Overall from what Ive heard the Lyman is one of the better made pieces and very accurate, Just take your time in choosing look over reviews and find what fits you.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

A Lyman would be a good choice and as odd fellow said theres others you might want to look over and shoulder if you can to see which appeals to you.

Just understand your about to travel down a road where theres no turning back... :grin:

one more question, what would be a diferance in firing roundball with 1:48 and 1:65 twist.

I am planning to only fire roundballs.

Thanks

Not much, in my experience. 1-48" is NOT a particularly fast twist and is an authentic twist from way back. And welcome to the forum. Share your knowledge and ask questions and have fun. This is a knowledgeable group here.

In my opinion you could do alot worse than a lyman great plains rifle, had one in .50 that still wish I had kept many years ago, there are others also, but it would be a great gun to start with.

My very limited experience with the GPR (a couple of shots) I found the rifle to be a quality piece, but somewhat heavy. If you are of slight build or don't have reasonable arm strength for any reason that weight may be of some consequence.

The very best advice as to choosing a rifle to to try it on. If you can, shoot someone's GPR. If not, find a shop which sells it, and at least heft it and sight it at something distant.

And wipe that grin off your face. It gets in the way of your dickering skills when you are working out the sale price.

I have a Lyman .54 flint GPR. It ain't a bad rifle. There's a lot of them out there. You might have to do a little tinkering to get it just right. I drilled out the touch hole to 5/64" and have been messing with the lock some. I have about 70 shots through mine and it shoots great if I do my part. I put mine together from a kit about 3 years ago.

I just got a 54 cal Lyman GPR in October and I really like it. I have only shot about 100 rounds through it. It has very rarely not fired the 1st time. It has fired far more reliably than a lot of the percussion guns that other guys were shooting at the range. I was even using the flints that came with the gun. I now have some good english flints from Track of the Wolf but haven't tried them yet. I haven't had to drill out the touch hole or anything yet either. Like I said it has been working great just the way it came out of the box.

Back