• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lube for PRB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like a mix of pig fat lard 50% and bees wax. Goes down the bore nice and slick when shooting my 54 hawken Great Plains flinter PRB with a .020thou patch and a 530 RB.

I have been using straight Ballistol and it does a fine job. Just moist is all I used. Lately, I have been using plain old spit while working up a load for one of my rifles and it works very well. It is only good for target shooting because over a period of an hour or so, it will probably dry out while awaiting for a deer. But in a load and shoot situation like at a range, spit is dandy stuff and it's plenty cheap. Several years ago, I used to use Bore Butter. It worked well. I would spread a thin coat on a strip of patch material, roll it up and microwave it for a few seconds to melt the Bore Butter into the fabric. I kept the tolled up strips in a plastic pill bottle from the pharmacy. Done properly, the patches were lightly oily, not dripping grease. If you are shooting at a range, try spit on your patches. Just stick a patch in your mouth while you are shooting and when you are ready for the next load, you will have a moist patch ready to go. Just moist, not dripping spit. If you like to cut your patches at the muzzle, just stick the end of the strip of dry fabric in your mouth to moisten it while you fire one shot and it will be ready for the next shot when you are ready to load. Yeah, cutting at the muzzle will leave the occasional loose threads and you will occasionally end up with a loose thread or two in your mouth. No problem, just spit them out. They're easier to spit out than a hair.

Dutch Schoultz has a different lubing method for his patches. He refers to it as "dry" patches. Actually they are lightly lubed patches but in his Black Powder Rifle Accuracy System, he has found that the precise amount of lubricant you put on your patches makes a significant difference in the accuracy of your rifle. You need to get s copy of his system. it is a fantastic deal for only $20. You do exactly what he tells you and you will be cutting those Xs. http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're talking the texture of the lube in the tin, most of mine (all grease-type) is kind of on the order of tub margarine right out of the refrigerator. That seems to make it easy to get a smear on the patch without getting too much. Hardest part is finding a lube that doesn't get too soft on warm days, yet too hard on cold days.

If you're talking how thick on the patch, I just want a film on the patch rather than a gob. Just seems to work better in my guns.

One thing you'll notice when comparing lubes. As the air temp runs up and down some can get too thin or too thick. For a long time I made different lube blends for different times of years. Then I tried TOW's mink tallow. Dang. That stuff is better than anything I've ever concocted. Keeps the right texture or "firmness" in the tin over a wider temperature range than anything else I've seen.

I make mine with crisco, lard or tallow and add some bees wax so it is about like shoe polish, maybe just a tad softer. I rub one side only of my patch against the lube. I fill up old cap tins and that seems to work real well.

Back