• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubed patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to see if any one else has had this problem.When I first started muzzle loading I read all the info I could get and it all poited to prelubed patches. When I tryed them on a cold day it was very frustrating. I could not hit the broad side of a barn.I went back to spit patches and x it every time. So I followed the patch trail and found that the spit patches were about 5 yards away but the lubed patches went almost to the 25 yard line. I think the lubed patches were sticking to the ball and making it go haywire.What say you?
Bob

The Lubed patches probably weigh more that the spit patches and thus travel farther. I doubt the patch stuck to the ball.

The lubed patches do introduce an inconsistancy factor though. This may be more than you want to know, but look at the information Dutch Schoultz has about patches. I've used either his dry patch system when target shooting or a damp spit patch when hunting for years with a great deal of success.

Dutch's website has recently changed locations to:[url] http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of lube were you using? A lot of the lubes out there are petroleum based and will freeze making them poor choices for cold weather. Bear grease or pure mink oil are great for extreme cold weather use. Lehigh valley patch lubricant is also pretty good from what I've heard although I've never personally tried it.

As with Dutch Schoultz' accuracy system, I use water soluable machine oil mixed 1oz to 7oz water. I have also used Ballistol instead of machine oil with good results. For cold weather, I use rubbing alcohol rather than water, it evaporates faster. I soak the patch strips (I prefer to cut at the muzzle unless I'm hunting)then let the strips dry completely. If I'm going to make a few patches for hunting, I just cut a few from my dried strips.

when using a dry patch, cold weather isn't a factor and it won't contaminate the powder either. For a quick second shot, a slightly damp spit patch will work well. again, cold isn't a factor.

Fouling build up isn't a factor either using this system. For shooting at a match, I either wipe with a damp patch between shots or use a damp patch over the range rod seating jag.

I was using that yellow bore butter and afterwards I found that when it got really cold I could not even get it out of the tube. It works really well for cleaning but I wish it didn't smell like a french Wh--- so spit now works great for me and have never had that problem since.
Bob :thumbsup:

Been using Hoppe's # 9 Plus, as a patch lube lately. I shoot every weekend, and have had no problems shooting prb's, in cold weather.

Many, many things will work quite well as a patch lube, as you see by the huge amount of posts on this subject at different times on this Forum. Just one of the MANY unique and fun things about shootin BP & PRB's!!! :grin: Here's one of my favorites through the years both as a patch lube and cleaner..
gojo.jpg
Give it a try, you might be suprised. :thumbsup:

JPerryE said:
The Lubed patches probably weigh more that the spit patches and thus travel farther. I doubt the patch stuck to the ball.

If weight were the only factor the lubed patches would not have travled as far as the spit patches due to simple gravity pulling them down faster. I think you will find that in the cold weather the patch simply froze to the ball and took longer to blow off, thus adding more wind resistance and altering the flight path of the shot.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Toomuch_36 said:
JPerryE said:

If weight were the only factor the lubed patches would not have travled as far as the spit patches due to simple gravity pulling them down faster. I think you will find that in the cold weather the patch simply froze to the ball and took longer to blow off, thus adding more wind resistance and altering the flight path of the shot.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

IMHO, at the range, I'd be very surprised if a patch would be freezing to a ball between shots during a range session...can't imagine a barrel would get that cold between shots and be that cold for a long enough period of time to do so...seems like the raging inferno against that patch would have a say in whether it was frozen of not too.

IMHO, I also do not believe that gravity plays any part at all in affecting patch separation from a ball as they are both leaving the muzzle at 1500-2000fps...high speed violent wind resistance flares the patch edges back immediately causing the patch to act like a drag chute, and the patch begins separating from the ball.

And lastly, just as a thought, a lot of things can happen during a range session that can go unnoticed causing one to draw conclusions that may not necessarily be the case...for example, I've been in the middle of a 50 shot session with patches landing 15-20 feet out front like normal, then had a breeze pick up in my face causing patches to flutter to the ground just 5-10 feet in front of me...two disctinctly different groupings of patch locations on the ground....and have had a cross wind pick up which caused the patches to start fluttering down way off to the side out of sight into the weeds...and a trailing breeze will cause patches to flutter down further out towards the target, etc

Things aren't always as they might first appear to be...my .02 cents

Ive been using Snow Cap lard.Works good in 40 degree weather.Waiting on bees wax to add to it for summer shooting. Or do I even need it?

roundball said:
Toomuch_36 said:
JPerryE said:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

IMHO, at the range, I'd be very surprised if a patch would be freezing to a ball between shots during a range session...can't imagine a barrel would get that cold between shots and be that cold for a long enough period of time to do so...seems like the raging inferno against that patch would have a say in whether it was frozen of not too.

IMHO, I also do not believe that gravity plays any part at all in affecting patch separation from a ball as they are both leaving the muzzle at 1500-2000fps...high speed violent wind resistance flares the patch edges back immediately causing the patch to act like a drag chute, and the patch begins separating from the ball.

And lastly, just as a thought, a lot of things can happen during a range session that can go unnoticed causing one to draw conclusions that may not necessarily be the case...for example, I've been in the middle of a 50 shot session with patches landing 15-20 feet out front like normal, then had a breeze pick up in my face causing patches to flutter to the ground just 5-10 feet in front of me...two disctinctly different groupings of patch locations on the ground....and have had a cross wind pick up which caused the patches to start fluttering down way off to the side out of sight into the weeds...and a trailing breeze will cause patches to flutter down further out towards the target, etc

I am not trying to start any arguments here. The above conclusion was taken from personal experience in controled conditions.

Toomuch

Toomuch_36 said:
roundball said:
Toomuch_36 said:
JPerryE said:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I am not trying to start any arguments here. The above conclusion was taken from personal experience in controled conditions.

Toomuch
I didn't think anyone was...it's an information exchange

Toomuch_36 said:
JPerryE said:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Toomuch, check the following link:[url] http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae6.cfm[/url]

Gravity acts on the patch and the ball equally. Gravity doesn't pull one to the ground any faster than it does the other. The distance traveled, if one object is moving horizontally is another matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back