• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mule Skinner said:
What simple types of lube do you guys conjure up.

Spit patch for normal shooting, and Crisco in a loading block.
Pretty simple! :grin:

I cut a pile of patches then squeeze a glob of the green tube bore butter on them, then pour a good amount of olive oil into the mix. Then nuke for about a minute in little baggie.
I can shoot as long as I feel like and not have to wipe between shots. I keep them in air tight baggie and they stay slippery till I load.
I been thinkin about tryin to get my hands on some catfish or eel slime and try that.

Hoyt said:
".....I can shoot as long as I feel like and not have to wipe between shots....."
:thumbsup: ...can't imagine wanting to shoot any other way...shorter time at the range because it's just a "shooting" session, not a cleaning session...less wear and tear on the shoulder joint from no ramrod work...no worry about crown wear at the muzzle as there's no ramrod work, etc.

I take a squirt top bottle like kids' drinks come in or some water bottles have that pull up nipple bottle. I fill it a third of the way with Murphey's oil soap and the rest of the way with windseild solvent

Do any of you old guys remember the cleaner/lube recipe that was published in Muzzle Blasts years ago back when I was a pup??
Equal parts of Murphy's Oil Soap, rubbing alcohol, and peroxide.
I haven't used it as a lube, but it sure makes a good cleaning solvent for those times you don't have access to hot soapy water.

Yep, you're right----I'm an old fart. :haha:

yeah we talked about that here you can access those threads quite easliy..a quick note about peroxide it is H2O2 and is kinda unstable it turns to water in short order. The windsheild solvent I use is alcohol based to keep it from freezin up here in the cold northeast

Back