• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman 50 Cal for kids

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawken Dan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering a 50 cal Lyman flinter for my kids age 14 (girl),12 (girl) and 10(boy)

Anyone out there that has there kids into BP and what do they have.

Hawken Dan

my daughter has a .50 cal traditions kentucky flinter, she's 15 and 96 lbs. she loves it and can handle it all by her self, including loading. shes shot some of my other guns, but this is light enough for her to handle

karwelis
RDV030.jpg

Nice looking girl Karwelis bet you are proud of her.
I don't see no reason a kid that likes to shoot couldn't handle a .50 cal.

well she's shot my GPR, that was a bit heavy for her, she like my lancaster (its .54cal) but feels silly shooting a gun longer than she is tall. she is eyeballing the jaeger i started. but she loves "her" gun

MY 8 YO is shooting a CVA .45 kentucky that I shortened for her. I took 10 inches of the barel and 2 inches off the stock. She loves it, and is actually pretty good with it.

The only negative I can think of when speaking of a youngster shooting a .50 is, as we all know, with a heavy powder load they can have a pretty stout kick.

For youngsters, heavy recoil is not fun.

For poking holes in paper or plinking at empty cans though, a light load of 30-50 grains under a patched roundball doesn't kick that hard and kids can really enjoy shooting them.

With these light powder loads a .50 is an excellent way to teach youngsters how to deal with a light "shove" from recoil that a .22 can't begin to teach.

IMO, the light recoil, the reloading, the smoke, the idea of using a "Really old time gun" and the touch of History can all work together to give the youngsters something that no other form of rifle can give.

noermally i would agree with you, but my little girl is shooting 60gr. of fffg, and using a .495 rb with a .015 patch, she does her own loading, and we go to the range and she soots 3-4 hrs like that.

well if she were wearing that she would not have been allowed on the "woods" walk shoot. not a lot of saftey stuff in 1820 you know. she wears eyes and ears at the range.

Hawken Dan said:
Hi,

I am considering a 50 cal Lyman flinter for my kids age 14 (girl),12 (girl) and 10(boy)

Anyone out there that has there kids into BP and what do they have.

Hawken Dan

The Lyman Deerstalker is a kid friendly size. It's not traditional really but can be had in flintlock. I have one in .54 and it's a real shooter.

HD

Karwelis,
Shame on whoever was running taht woods walk. PC or not, safety has to come first. Eye and ear safety is not an option. My grandson was shooting last season and had a nipple blow out of his rifle. He was wearing both and suffered no more than a scratch where the nipple actually caught him in the forehead.
Mark

Thanks too you all for the good advice.
Recoil on a 50 cal will not be an issue for my 14 year old as she already hunts with a .243 and that is easy for her. The 12&10 year old will to be tested. I am more worried about the weight. :yakyak:

The Lyman looks like it could be a good fit.

Hawken Dan.

Karwelis, looks like my daughter is about the same as yours. I am sure she would do fine then with a 50 cal.

Thanks for the pics.

Hawken Dan.

Hawken Dan said:
Karwelis, looks like my daughter is about the same as yours. I am sure she would do fine then with a 50 cal.

Thanks for the pics.

Hawken Dan.
glad i could help! that rifle of her's is like 6lbs, real light.

Papa said:
Karwelis,
Shame on whoever was running taht woods walk. PC or not, safety has to come first. Eye and ear safety is not an option. My grandson was shooting last season and had a nipple blow out of his rifle. He was wearing both and suffered no more than a scratch where the nipple actually caught him in the forehead.
Mark

well its a good thing she shoots a flinter! i mean come on now, can you see it, daniel boone gettin ready for a fire fight, takes aim, and sez, "wait i dont have my plastic glasses and ear plugs" these guns are only dangerous if you do not maintain then correctly. and in that you dont need all the manure all the time. i'm almost 50, been shooting sense i was 8, been in the marine corps, 2 1/2 years in a combat zone bla, bla, bla, guess what my eyes and ears are fine. there is nothing wrong with shootin a flinter once in a while with out all those precationary things. i mean in what 300 years .001% of the people have had an incedent

You mean there's a place that says you can't wear eye and ear protection on a trail walk because they didn't do it in 1820? I bet if they could hear the constant ringing in my ears (tinnitus)caused by 22 years of big guns (Army)and being too cool to wear hearing pro, they would change that rule. I wish I had been smarter instead of cooler.

yes there are trail walks like that. and yes i do participate, and so does my daughter. ive been shooting for 40 years, 6 in the marine corps. and no damage. you should check out the hearing studies and effects on the ears with a sub sonic shockwave(muzzleloader) vs. a super sonic shock wave(modern high power centerfire) i think youwould be suprised at the reality of whats happening. now if you have previous damage, well you'd be correct. and if we are at a range she does wear protection. and also keep in mind what i said earlier "in 300 years .001% of the people have had an incedent."

karwelis said:
keep in mind what i said earlier "in 300 years .001% of the people have had an incedent."

Not trying to start anything, but your statistic is questionable. We have no way to know how many people have been shooting or who's had an accident in the last 300 years. I doubt you have data for last year.

I truly hope that you don't regret your fatherly guidance. :v

you,know if you would have asked i would have told you were to look to find the statistics, but that was rude. the facts are out there if you are brave enough to look. or play ostrich. and not learn, i mean heaven forbid someone might know something you didnt. i am not the type to pull figures out of my butt. and my masters degree in engineering probably trumps you. will i regret letting my daughter shoot once in a while like god inteded, no. these weapons are only as safe as you make them, and no amount of hearing or eye protection will help you if you have an explosion. i'm sorry if i dont fit into the overly cautious politically correct stereo type. i would be willing to bet you think motorcyclests should wear helmets. this is one of those deals unless you ride, and know from first hand experence what its like to go down, you have no opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back