• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman 50 Cal for kids

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
karwelis said:
you,know if you would have asked i would have told you were to look to find the statistics, but that was rude...... and my masters degree in engineering probably trumps you.

Wow, engineering. Consider me trumped. :wink:

You have my sincerest apologies.

All I would ask is the source that shows that they started compiling firearm accident data in 1708. That would certainly prove you correct and make me look even more trumped. :v

Started my son 2 years (age 12) ago with a CVA Bobcat 50. He loves the recoil and the boom. Got a great deal on it at Wal-Mart ($50.00). It was my starter M/L.

On a personal note: Safety is not for the 99.9% when things go right; it's for that 0.1%.

Mike Lea ([email protected]) has a kit gun that is super light weight. It is a flintlock copy of an original "boys" gun. In form it is an english halfstock fowler. I had one made up for my wife. It can either have a .45 rifle barrel or a .50 smoothbore. The gun weighs about 5 pounds. I think this is perfect for women and children. It seems that a number of trekkers have started carrying them as well for their long hunts.

Many Klatch

Carl Davis said:
karwelis said:
check the national archives, and the library of congress,,,,

That's what I thought. :bull:

Thanks
you dont have the capacity to be anything but rude. nor does it seem that you have it in you to investigate the truth. so go be a good little lamb and stay with the heard. i'm going to point this out because its obvious that you dont know. "the mind is like a parachute it only works when its open" and you my friend do not have an open mind! baaaa, baaaa, baaa.

and might i add there is no way i'm posting any kind of link here again. i made a promise to claude on this one

Carl,
Boy am I sorry I opened my big mouth. I gues I'd rather err on the side of safety and common sense than argue unnecessarily with someone smarter than me.
Mark :surrender:

Very cool & a beautifull daughter :thumbsup:
Its great to see a father teaching his kids a better & simpler (IMO) way of life :v

BTW- That safty stuff is fine but come on now :yakyak: I've shot because i've had to & because i've wanted to for near 50 yrs & the day i have to stop & put on all the safty stuff before i pull a trigger is the day i'll stop :snore:

HawkenGuy said:
Very cool & a beautifull daughter :thumbsup:
Its great to see a father teaching his kids a better & simpler (IMO) way of life :v

BTW- That safty stuff is fine but come on now :yakyak: I've shot because i've had to & because i've wanted to for near 50 yrs & the day i have to stop & put on all the safty stuff before i pull a trigger is the day i'll stop :snore:

exactly! ive been shooting for 40+ years, and the part you all missed is this isnt how we do it every time. but there are times when its safe and appropriate. i build our guns, i know how safe they are. i know what kind of load is in them. and i know how miniscule the risk is. life is to be experenced and faced head on. not to be seen through saftey glass. life is about risk and taking chances, sometimes it doesnt pan out so good. and there are times when you succede that it makes the risk worth it! the point is, ride motorcycles with out a helmet, climb mountians, jump out of airplanes. and live life! and remember just getting out of bed in the morning is taking a risk. its about the journey, not the destination. after all the destination is death. and remember dont take life so seriously, your not getting out of it alive!

Well said :thumbsup:
Life would be a extreamly dull place with a steady heartbeat 24/7 :hatsoff:
Get the heartrate up & blood pumping once in awhile :blah:

5lb's for a 50 cal would be the one to get, so I will look around and compare the diff kits out there. Thanks all for the good onfo.

On the safety fight going on above, I wonder how Jim Bridger and co would have looked like with safty glasses and ear muffs :rotf:
safety is good to have, but too much of it really can spoil some things. :surrender:

Hawken Dan

If you think wearing ear protection and eye glasses ruins a good thing, try losing an eye, or getting permanent tinnitis, and a wide range of hearing loss to spoil your fun. :cursing: :surrender: :thumbsup:

Jim Bridger didn't have any choice about eye and ear protection.

You do.

If he had them, he would have used them. He was using the finest firearm available to him when he went West. Do you really think he would respect someone who went afield using less than the best possible equipment to insure that he can come back home ???? :shake: :nono: :shocked2: :hmm: :hatsoff:

If he had them, he would have used them.

Oh please Paul, I don't buy that for a second. Don't pretend to know what this man would have worn or not worn. I find it awful hard that Jim Bridger would walk around the Rockys wearin red ear muffs if they were available. Hard to invision it. I got no dog in this fight, you should wear ear/eye protection but if you choose not to it's your business, none of mine.

Hi,
I am considering a 50 cal Lyman flinter for my kids age 14 (girl),12 (girl) and 10(boy)
Anyone out there that has there kids into BP and what do they have.
Hawken Dan

Just a reminder to all, this thread is about which muzzleloader is best suited for a child, not whether or not eye and ear protection is required, if anyone wishes to start a separate post about that latter subject, please feel free to do so that way we can concentrate on the topic at hand.

karwelis said:
you should check out the hearing studies and effects on the ears with a sub sonic shockwave(muzzleloader) vs. a super sonic shock wave(modern high power centerfire) i think youwould be suprised at the reality of whats happening.quote]

have any of you actually takin the time to check this out. to learn the difference between the two shock waves, and the efects on the human ear? judging by you responses i would say the answer is no. baaaaa, baaaaaa, baaaa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back