• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR or Traditions...Penn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard Eames said:
40 Flint said:
Hadn't heard that Richard. I'm just going by the GPRs & the occasional Pedersoli Mortimer that show up at monthly get togethers. 'Course those have been around a while.

I didn't care for the few Traditions products I've handled. Like some other things they may have higher and lower grade products.
TC

I bought a GPR 50 Flint to shoot in Phoenix, nice rifle, after getting it, the posts here on GPR's were very negative. After reading here, I would not buy one unless I could go through a stores inventory and select one.

Mortimer, Ronnie White in Pasadena had them, wish I bought one.

Mike Powasnik in League City carried Pedersoli, I spent hours going through his Tryons to get mine, exceptional wood and a winner in the silhouette matches, places in Brady and is a winner there, state champion.

I found a Pedersoli Kodiak from Trail Guns, League City, with P+3 wood, appears to be un-fired, it has a new home now.

When I shot in Pasadena, very few GPR's on the line which were winners, mainly T/C's with GM barrels.

Ralph Miller was one of my mentors, he taught me well and how to win.

Wow. That's a trip down memory lane.
Going to Rebel Arms was a treat.

Ronnie had the best selection of BP rifles that there was, sure miss the place.

Spent a lot of money there and was a lot of good shoots over the years.

Do not know, I have what rifles I need and have moved on to competive pistol shooting the last several years. Thinking about getting a Radio Flyer wagon to haul my rifle for deer hunting.

Pistols weight less and you have to walk less far in matches, getting lazy I guess

Richard Eames said:
Do not know, I have what rifles I need and have moved on to competive pistol shooting the last several years. Thinking about getting a Radio Flyer wagon to haul my rifle for deer hunting.

Pistols weight less and you have to walk less far in matches, getting lazy I guess
Be sure to lube those wheels on that Radio Flyer. nothing more irksome than some old coot in the hunting party spooking game with squeaky wheels :rotf:

My wife says I need hearing aids, not sure I want the endless chatter if I did get them.

If you are still looking, just do a Google search for best price for Lyman (what ever model you want), or Traditions (what ever model you want). I'm sure you can find a model and price you can afford. I shoot left handed and have kicked myself in the rear many time for not buying a 54 cal Flintlock. When I decided to they didn't make them any more. I have 4 Lyman rifles and have had no issues with the Lyman rifles I have bought mail order or online. No stores around me sell them.
DANNY

I bought a Lyman GPR just under two years ago. I was very satisfied with the quality for the price. I was just looking around at the current prices out of curiosity and they've gone up about a hundred bucks since I bought mine.

Latest posts

Back