• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR or Traditions...Penn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saintbubba

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi all,
Buddy took me out to the range and we shot his Lyman
Per cap GPR in .50 cal and I had a blast. He told me I should look for the same rifle but I am having a hard time finding anybody who has them in stock in non-kit form. I was wondering if the Traditions brand is in the same class quality wise, they seem more abundant. I have seen search results that claim Traditions brand rifles could be defective and even dangerous when used properly. I couldn't tell if that was old news or just plain B.S.
Thanks,
Bubba

factory finished Lyman Great Plains Rifles in stock at Midsouth Shooter's Supply. around 550 for percussion. 600 for flint. good people to do business with.

a bit cheaper at Midway but they're out of stock.

don't have any experience with the Traditions but most of the negative stuff is just that, stuff as in B.S. love the Lyman GPR.

I cant speak for quality of one versus the other; however I can tell you Ive had my Traditions Hawken for going on 20 years and aside from the fact I learned the hard way the stock doesnt get sealed under the metal parts I couldnt complain one bit. She's been one hell of a reliable rifle and a hoot to shoot! Once I learned about front loaders I discovered she's pretty durned accurate too, though she likes light loads.

I've owned a number of Lyman Great Plains rifles. They've all been outstanding production rifles. The pros are: walnut stock, deep cut rifling and finally good design of a classic "plains style" half-stock Hawken of the mid-1830s. Spend the extra dough. A few years down the road, you'll be glad you did. Just my $.02

saintbubba said:
Hi all,
Per cap GPR in .50 cal and I had a blast. He told me I should look for the same rifle but I am having a hard time finding anybody who has them in stock in non-kit form. I was wondering if the Traditions brand is in the same class quality wise, they seem more abundant. I have seen search results that claim Traditions brand rifles could be defective and even dangerous when used properly. I couldn't tell if that was old news or just plain B.S.
Thanks,
Bubba

In the last day or so I discussed with a fellow a GPR he had for sale for dang near half price. I was tempted to get it but held off due to other projects. Well, that and it being a right hand and me being a lefty. I've sent him a link to this thread to establish a connection in case he wishes to pursue the matter.
It's a percussion .54. The .54 balances better than the .50, my two cent opinion.

Traditions is a decent rifle, Lyman is better. Pedersoli is better yet. Then you get in to custom or pre-used custom Rifles. I've had a Traditions Hawken Woodsman in percussion for 10 years and have not had a single problem with it. It is a sturdy, good shooting rifle.

I started with a gpr in .50. very good rifles. you mite try to find a used cva mountain rifle in .45 or .50.

saintbubba said:
Hi all,
I have seen search results that claim Traditions brand rifles could be defective and even dangerous when used properly. I couldn't tell if that was old news or just plain B.S.
Thanks,
Bubba
It's basically, BS.

:yakyak: :shake:

Traditions imports the same guns that were imported by CVA back when they were selling side lock muzzleloaders.

Back then, they said the same thing about CVA's.

The overall quality of the Traditions sidelocks which are made in Spain is not as good as the Italian made guns but they are all safe to shoot with a black powder or modern synthetic black powder.

None of them are safe to shoot with any kind of smokeless powder.

I have both Pedersoli and Lyman. No question in my mind, Lyman would be my pick. Finish not as pretty on metal or stock, but the Lyman's fit is better that Pedersoli and the Lyman will out shoot the Pedersoli any day. Lyman GPR is heavy but it sure lays on target better than most anything short of a custom. My GPR is second only to a gun Tip built.

What size are you? If you are no sky scraper then don't overlook the very versatile Lyman trade rifle.

I have both. The traditions currently out shoots the Lyman and have had it many many moons and kilt a few bucks. The Lyman is a newer find and I have not played with it enough. It has a peep and is left handed (I shoot left) and I have never liked peeps. May sell, may shoot and love it, may have another beer then think about it again. DONT BE AFRAID of the Traditions. I have several, they are less expensive and with the savings (for a 1st BP rifle anyways) you can get your "supplies". They can shoot an excellent group if you do yer homework and develop the favored load.

Keep us posted and lets see some pics.

I'm new to the game and have been thrilled with the Lyman GPR I bought about a month ago:

20170323_205651-1.jpg

I've put exactly 41 shots through it so far with 0 misfires. Accuracy seems good so far but I am working on load development and breaking in the rifling. Many here will recommend you fire the rifle about 100 times before expecting best performance, the rifling comes a little sharp and this will break it in nicely.

I really can't recommend one enough. They are much closer to a real plains rifle than any of the Traditions guns. They have better and more authentic "lines", and the quality is most certainly there for the money. You're going to have to pay double the price of a Lyman GPR if you want say a Pedersoli Hawken, and much more still if you want to get a custom J&S Hawken patterned plains rifle built for you.

Also I think you should get the .54 caliber. The barrel balances nicely for me after getting used to the weight, but I would think a .50 would not balance as nicely due to more metal in the barrel.

So while I don't have any personal experience with Traditions, I will give high praise to the Lyman GPR. I am so happy I got one after years of putting it off!! :thumbsup:

PS: The people here are some of the best, most knowledgeable, and friendly black powder people. They have been a great help to me!

My GPR in .50 caliber I bought about 22 years ago. It's a fine rifle. I recently saw a recent one and the stock was not walnut, which my rifle is. It was "hardwood" which is a fine stock, but still....

I put a new ToW sight on mine as the original one wasn't exactly p/c. I haven't sighted in in since. I also browned the barrel and the metal parts as soon as I got it. Why, I don't know but it's a handsome rifle now. I received it when there was snow on the ground and I have a tendency to fool with stuff.

Never had a Traditions, or haven't seen one that I can remember.

I started out with a CVA, same as a Traditions, and still have one, but I have several Lymans. For what it's worth, both shoot close enough to the same for me, but the Lyman is better finished and fitted. My groups at 100 yards are very slightly better with the Lyman GPR than my CVA St. Louis hawken, 3" vs 3.5", so not enough to matter for hunting, and I really think the difference is caused by the GPR being a better fit for me than the CVA. I have never had any trouble out of either that wasn't my own fault, and doubt I ever will. IF it was my money we were spending, it would go to another GPR, but it's you that has to be happy with this rifle, and not any of the rest of us. Is there any way you might be able to go somewhere where you can shoulder both, one after the other, and see which is more comfortable for you?

GoodCheer said:
saintbubba said:
Hi all,
Thanks,
Bubba

In the last day or so I discussed with a fellow a GPR he had for sale for dang near half price. I was tempted to get it but held off due to other projects. Well, that and it being a right hand and me being a lefty. I've sent him a link to this thread to establish a connection in case he wishes to pursue the matter.
It's a percussion .54. The .54 balances better than the .50, my two cent opinion.
I second that, having owned several GOD's, one in 50 cal the rest in .54. Definitely get the .54 if I had to do it over. You might also want to look at the Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 as your entry level rifle.

saintbubba said:
Hi all,
Thanks,
Bubba

I am far from being a expert. However I have owned a GPR in .50, killed many deer with it. Great rifle. I now own a Traditions Pennsylvania in .50cal and it has been a great rifle as well. IMHO either one will serve you well for the price range they fall in. Just my 2 cents.

Back