• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dept24emt

Pilgrim
Reaction score
i got a brand new GPR last week. i had a few hours to get it ready for the opener (last saturday). so, i threw together a load, and went with it. it worked fairly well. saturday went well. the gun went off w/o a hitch, unloading it in the AM. however in the PM, it took 4 or 5 pans to get it to go off. i guess im looking for ideas on how to get it to go off more reliably. any load ideas would be nice too.

thanks
micah

First thing that comes to my mind is is you are swabbing & using a std jag & tight patch, you are packing the patent breech with fouling.

Second thing is you need a vent liner mod & it will make a 50% improvement in the ignition time

Third thing is load with a vent pick in the vent & curved toward the charge, then wiggle it upon removal & charge the pan & shot it.

Fourth is possible change of patch lube. Lehigh Lube always worked great in my GPR's.

Fifth thing is possible ? change in powder type. If it is Elephant use it to fertilize the yard & get some Goex. I shot 3F in my GPR's most of the time with 75 grains in the .54 calibers & had good success. They would group under 1" at 50 yards & uabout 1.5" at 100 yards off the bench & on my good shooting days.

Just work with it, it will come around.

:thumbsup:

I was going to add my two cents, but Birddog covered it all..Hank :bow:

I drilled out the vent hole to 5/64th inch. Drill the outside of the vent liner with a 1/4 inch bit to form a cone. Be sure to leave enough on the outter rim and screw driver slot for easy removal. This focuses the flash to the touch hole. I trimmed the liner to the thickness of the metal that it enters. This allows more powder to get closer to the touch hole. Put it all back together, use your vent pick and it goes off everytime. I got this advice from Zonie and it works :thumbsup: . In my .54 GPRs, I use 80 grains of FFg Goex, .530 ball and pillow ticking with moose milk. Works great for me.

thanks for all the help guys. im going out tomorrow after school till dark. ill try out your ideas (minus drilling out the flash hole), and let yall know how it goes. :thumbsup:

Back