• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, Stump, if you decide to put in a White Lightning liner, you will need to get the tap for it. For some reason, Jim Chambers' White Lightning liners have a special thread. I ordered a kit from Jim Chambers and he told me that I would need to order the correct tap from him to cut the threads for the White Lightning liner. I do like the White Lightning liner but I think it has too small of a hole. You may want to open it up a bit. I had a chance to talk to Jim at Friendship and asked him why his White Lightning Liners had such a small hole. He said that most of the target shooters prefer the smaller hole for more consistant breach pressures and it is easy to open it up a bit if you want a larger hole (As most of the rest of us do). About a 1/16 of an inch works for me.

I have a .50 cal. flintlock GPR and in my opinion, it is SA-WEET !!! It seems to like 55 grains of Goex 3F for target shooting. For hunting, I would use 80 grains of 3F. I shoot a .490 ball with a .017 pocket drill patch lubed with straight Ballistol. These loads are just what work for my rifle and yours may prefer something else. I highly suggest buying a copy of Dutch Schultz' muzzleloading accuracy information. Just Google "Dutch Schultz muzzleloading accuracy". I think he gets $20 for it now but it will save you more than that in powder and balls as you look for the best load for your rifle. Muzzleloading rifles are like children in that they each have their own likes and dislikes. It is up to you to find out what your rifle likes and Dutch Schultz will get there quicker than any other method.

I second the vote for Dutch's System. I think you're on the right track and are getting a lot of very useful info, just dont be afraid to vary things a little here and there with your rifle, because as has been said, they all have their personalities and will work much better if we give them what they want. You do your part, and the rifle will do it's part.

Folks thinking of switching to a White Lightning liner need to consider the fact that because of the different thread pitch, the existing liner
hole must be enlarged by at least 1/16".

Put another way, if your existing liner uses a 1/4" thread (or thereabouts) the smallest White Lightning liner that can be used will be a 5/16-32 liner.

Likewise, if your existing liner is a 5/16" thread you will have to buy a 3/8-32 liner.

If you say, "Ole Zonie is crazy as a bed bug! I can just retap my existing 1/4-28 thread with a 1/4-32 tap and insert the White lightning 1/4-32 liner." you will end up with almost no threads in the hole.
What few threads will exist won't be strong enough to take the pressures from firing the gun.

Swede50 said:
Gandermountian does not carry Black Powder here in Kansas. I have been not to try to shoot Pyrodex or 777 in my flintlock something about it not wanting to go off.

Hey Swede,

None of the substitutes will light in the pan with any reliability and Pyrodex won't light at all in the pan. You have to get some real black powder to make it work. Problem is that the substitutes require a much higher temperature to ignite (around 450° higher flashpoint)and they just don't get it from sparks. You can often get the stuff to go off as the main charge if you put a few grains (10-20) of real black powder in first and then put the substitute on top of it. But kiss off getting the stuff to ignite in the pan. You really need real BP in the pan.

I had some surprisingly decent results with 777 years ago...it went off about half the time. Of course real black powder goes off all the time, so no comparison.

Twisted_1in66 :hatsoff:

Great info Zonnie, thanks. Very timely, will save me a problem in the future.

I too have LH GPR's flintlocks. .50 and .54
I use Black English Flints and I changed out the vent liners for RMC's vent liners.

I can get pie plate accuracy off the bench at 100yd with the .50. I looked for my target data for that shoot but can't find it. So it didn't happen. :surrender:

Here is my best with the .54
29Jan12.jpg

HA

Latest posts

Back