• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Plains Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthompson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the Lyman Plains Pistols?
I have been looking at the 50cal Percussion model but I was wondering if anyone could tell me any pro's or con's about them that I should know about. If you can tell me, your feedback would be appreciated. Thank's for your time.

I have NEVER had ANY problems with it. It can shoot as good (or better) than I can see. Mine was a kit version in .54 caliber. The only thing that might take some getting used to is a trigger return spring.

For the price, they are really nice & solid good shooters. The max. recommended powder charges might seem low compared to others; but the quality is really superb and you can shoot the maximum loads continuously (w/no trouble!)

Regards, and fun shooting!
WV_Hillbilly

I bought my .54 new about 15 years ago. I have shot 6o grs of 3FFFg out of it with no problem.... but 40 grs is a lot more like it.....even 20 shoots good. I am going to get another one to have a brace! Get it...you will not be sorry at all :thumbsup:

P

Got one this spring. After working on the trigger(stoning engagement surfaces and decreasing the spring)it is a great shooter. I have been using 27 gr. of Pyrodex, .490 ball and .015 lubed patch.
Stew

Love mine. I got it last Spring to go with my .50 Lyman Plains rifle. It rides in a homemade cross draw "loop" next to my bone handled knife. I have not worked on any serious accuracy with it, but at 10 paces, about 15 yards for me, it hits point of aim off hand from the draw. Get one, you won't regret it.

I have the 54 bought and built the kit shoots good. I did put a thinner front sight on it. I use it out to 25 yard in our muzzle loader season. 55gr app 2f and PBR.

I got one in 50 for a "backup" to my 50 cal rifle. Actually I just wanted an excuse for another pistol. :grin:

I use about 30 grains of FFFg and am happy with the results. With that load I can hit a paper plate at 25 yds which to me is alright.

You'll like it. :thumbsup:

The only negative that I can remember ever hearing about it was that the thinnest part of the stock can be susceptible to cracking with heavy loads. But I'm sure if that complaint was caliber specific and limited to just the .54 or not.

I also purchased a .54 cal Plains Pistol to go with my .54 flint GPR, and it is a fine gun, but I have only this one complaint about it: it really doesn't fit my hand.

To be expected I guess in a mass produced gun. Other than that I like it just fine. Wish I could get it in a flint version.

Kenneth

Latest posts

Back