• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murray

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well after deciding not to go down the route of the Ardesa rifles for a number of reasons. I am now looking at Lyman rifles which look like a better choice for a beginner. Any comments on this idea? Anyone own a Lyman?
Thanks
Murray

Any of the Lyman rifles will serve you well, but if you are looking for one that is authentic looking you should buy the Lyman Great Plains rifle. Not only does it look good, but they are darn good shooters too.

I own a great plains 54 its the only caplock i own and shoot.If your looking for a great shooting semi-inexpensive rifle you cant go wrong with the great plains.My true love is flint but the cap great plains is fun when im feeling a little modern. :m2c:

I see that they have interchangeable barrels, what are the advantages of this feature?

Probably so that you can pick a twist suitable for bullet (fast) or ball (slow). I got my GP R back when they only made one version- 1-66 twist for ball and it is very accurate. It has a half-a adjustible sight that can be swappe out for a fixed sight for purists. The stock is good dense walnut and the rifle is overall, a superior piece of work. It departs from the originals in that the lock springs are coil rather than flat leaf. The consequence of this is that you will probably never have to replace any springs- or anything else by my experience.

If I could pick any muzzleloading rifle regardless of cost, this would be the one.

I don't have a picture uploaded but here is the companion plains pistol
lyman25offhand.jpg

the only objectionable thing is the large amount of literature on the barrel top and left. I eliminated this on the rifle by building it from a kit - draw filed off. On the pistol, I just ignore it and use the right side for pictures

Great thanks!
That looks like a nice little piece of work.
So the more twists the barrel has the slower the round goes?

No, that's now what the rate of twist does. A fast rate of twist is used for conicals and (bite my tongue) sabots. The slower twist is best with round balls. It has nothing to do with the velocity.

They are talking about the RATE of twist - how many inches of barrel is required for the rifling to make a complete revolution.
: IT matters not how may grooves there are. Normally, there are 6 to 8 grooves.
: The faster twist barrels, ie: 1 complete turn in 32" of barrel, are designed for shooting elongated bullet-type projectiles - conicals, slugs, whatever and generally shoot poorly with patched round balls at high velocity.
: Slow rifling-twist barrels, ie: 1 turn in 66" of barrel, are designed for patched round balls, not slugs or elongated bullets.
: This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with twisted-steel barrels as these are techniques for making damascus(welded) barrels, not the rifling itself.
: I suggest you buy a bunch of BP digests and start learning. Without a basis on knowledge, it is difficult to help you very much. You must have a basic understanding of what rifles are & the dynamics of how they function.

Thanks Daryl, i have a number of books on order as we speak which will help me do just. I have done a lot of conventional, centre and rimfire rifle shooting as well as air rifle but have never gotten technically involved in shooting. Which I intend to do with BP. Thanks for your help and sorry about the ill-informed question.

NP - hope I explained rifling twist to a point you could understand it better. I now see others did as well.

Own three lymans and a Dixie gun works hawkens made by the same folks. all outstanding rifles. my lyman gprs shoot buffalo ballets and pa conicals as accurately as the roundball. i prefer them for hunting

Phil,
I never heard of th pa conical bullet.
Could ya tell me the weight and which company sells them
I would like to try them out.

**** WV SCROUNGER **** :redthumb:

they're made by hornady and i think they're 280gr.for .50 cal.i havent tried them yet but they are supposedly designed for 1:66 twist barrels

I have a Lyman Trade Rifle, GPR, and GP Pistol.
I wouldn't trade them for anything.
I love them all.

Huntin

They are made by Hornady, 240 gr for 50 cal. They sell them on their web site if you cant find them locally. As brushmaster said, they are supposedly designed for the slower twist barrels. They shoot well in my deerstalker as well (1:48)

Latest posts

Back