• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lymann GP pistol in Illinois

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok so here is the gun situation. I collect scrap and sell it at local junkyard in central Illinois, made 40.00 this week drop it off when I am in the neighborhood. This pays for my guns and liscences etc. hoby tools, The object of my desire is a Lymann GP pistol kit in 54 cal. Hopefully I will hunt with it in late deer season antlerless only-season-family project etc. The big question is who in central or northern Illinois sells lyman kits, Midsouth will not send to anyone but a FFL, a local guy can order one for about $175.00 Well you get the picture here. So any illinois people out there let me know. How this silly state approaches black powder arms.

Just keep looking for other suppliers, there is no law against sending a muzzleloader to Illinois. The FOID card scares some suppliers, Midsouth is just missing out on some business I guess. I have also had a few issues with deals and I just moved on to the next. I have a CVA "TRAPPER" pistol that I hunted with 2 years ago, I don't think I've ever had so much fun hunting before! Kurt in NW Ill.

I bought one-finished but they have kits too, direct from Lyman Products online. they list the guns and spare parts and the order was quick and problem free.[url] http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm[/url]
and go to black powder (buttons at top)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since when? I've bought 2 lyman great plains pistols from midsouth. Now they require an ffl to get em? That's news to me....

:confused:

Its just in Illinois, and probably also in Massachusetts, as both states require law abiding firearm owners to obtain a Firearm Owner Identification Card( FOID) and present it to all dealers to purchase a firearm. Background checks are still required under Federal law, and in Ilinois, it is required by State law. Until recently, even though the Ill. State Police issued the FOID cards, they were telling merchants not to accept them as identification for cashing checks. The police were miffed because the Legislature would not require FOID card holders to submit fingerprints with the application. Now, the ISP issue the card using the same picture that is on your driver's license, as they now have access to that data from the Ill. Sec. of State. You are still required to submit a current photo with your application or renewal, but they will use the photo from your most recent DL if you have one. I am hoping the ISP will now tell people that the FOID card is credible Identification and stop the little war they have had going against us taxpayers. Actually, I want to see the whole FOID law repealed, and close down the ISP division that haraasses people about their FOID cards, delays issuing them and threatens to arrest people if they don't have a current FOID card on their person because of the ISP delays. Bureaucracy for Bureaucrats, not for the people! That is the silliness of Illinois law.

There is only one case I have ever heard of that involved someone holding up someone armed with a percussion revolver. Its not even clear that it was loaded, as it was not recovered. But, on that single case, the ISP changed Illinois rules to require an FOID card for purchasing all black powder firearms, and they are treated the same as cartridge guns as far as waiting periods, Form 4473 requirements, etc. Out of state firms, like Mid-South, have been scared off from selling guns directly to Illinois residents, even if they are sent a valid FOID card, because of threats made by our wonderful Ill. Attorney General, whose father is the current majority leader in the Illinois House. ( She is Lisa Madigan, daughter of Speaker Mike Madigan-D, of Chicago area.) Both are notorious anti-gunners, and venture out of Chicago only rarely to attend to business in Springfield. Both have their body guards when they come to town, I am told. If they have ever stayed overnight here in central Illinois, I have not heard about it.

There are a lot of FFLs still in southern and central Illinois. If you contact one, and front the money, they will normally only charge you a small cost to cover shipping and their fees charged to do the background check to run such a purchase through their books, and let you buy the gun basically at dealer's prices. They will even process the paperwork for the background check and waiting period when you order the gun, so the waiting period is complete when the gun arrives. The ISP tried to say that the waiting period could only begin when full payment was made, but that has been rejected( Yea!) by our courts.

thanks for the info and replies via private topic. I have talked to Ron Darnal, he is probably who I will use since he can give me the best deal and I have done business with him for over a decade, I used to shoot there when I lived closer. I still buy gunsmithing parts from him. thanks

There are 3 gun shops around the Effingham area that I know can order exactly what you want.
Lock Stock and Barrel in Altamont
Clarence Funneman in Sigel
Main Street Outdoors in St.Elmo
Funneman may even have one in stock, he specializes in black powder shooting.
There is a problem with hunting with a black powder pistol , though, you can't do it anymore in Illinois. Centerfire above .30 cal. only. Used to, you could use single shot muzzleloading pistol capable of producing 500 fp at the muzzle. I'm not sure if it was last year or this year, but they don't allow them anymore.
Check DNR site or pick up a regulation book.

Hey Buttonbuck, How ya been?

I'm looking at the Regulation Book right now.
On page 14, smack in the middle, under the "Legal Firearms" heading, in the "Late Winter Antlerless..." section, the book says;

"...In addition, muzzleloading handguns may also be used. Legal muzzleloading handguns are limited tosingle-shot muzzleloading handguns (blackpowder handgun that are incapable of being loaded from the breech end) of .50 caliber or larger capable of producing at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle according to published ballistic tables of the manufacturer. Single-shot muzzleloading handguns must use a projectile of .44 caliber or larger with sufficient blackpowder or "blackpowder substitute" (such as Pyrodex) to produce at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. A wad or sleeve is not considered a projectile or part of a projectile."

I studied up on this real good last year. The .54 Lyman Great Plains Pistol was the only viable choice of traditional pistol shooting a patched round ball that I could find to meet the rules.
I use a .530 ball, Walmart pillow ticking, bore butter for lube over 50 grains of 3f Goex. Meets the requirements. Didn't get a chance to try it on a deer yet but I think it'll do the job at 25 yards.
The way I understand it, you can't mail order a muzzleloader in Chicago. Elsewhere it's legal. Some suppliers just won't.
I bought mine mail order. I forget which supplier. Mighta been October Country. Maybe Northern Rifleman? Check the links page for a buncha possibilities.
Good luck!

DavidS said:
There is a problem with hunting with a black powder pistol , though, you can't do it anymore in Illinois. Centerfire above .30 cal. only. Used to, you could use single shot muzzleloading pistol capable of producing 500 fp at the muzzle. I'm not sure if it was last year or this year, but they don't allow them anymore.
Check DNR site or pick up a regulation book.

For the Illinois 2006-2007 late season antlerless only season, you can use a blackpowder pistol subject to the restrictions that jethro224 quoted. You are correct that you used to be able touse them, during the 2004-2005 late season anlerless only season, but then could not last year during the same season.

It's good to see the Illinois DNR will again allow muzzleloader pistols this year for the late season antlerless only season. It's too bad they will not allow them for the regular firearm season, as they allow center fire pistols, or during muzzleloader only season. The other great thing is this year any unfilled firearm, or muzzleloader season permits, can be filled during the late season antlerless only season, even though either sex permits will then be restricted to antlerless only deer, too.

jethro224 said:
The way I understand it, you can't mail order a muzzleloader in Chicago. Elsewhere it's legal. Some suppliers just won't.

I think you are right on this. I have also found that although some dealers won't ship complete muzzleloading firearms to Illinois, they will ship parts or kits, which are just a collection of parts. I tried to order a barrel for a Lyman GPR last year from Midsouth and was told on the phone, by the lady in the order department, that according to a red flag thrown up by her computer, they could not ship that barrel to Illinois. I then called customer service and got the person in charge of buying muzzlelloaders for the company. I explained that I was only wanting a barrel, which was in no way a complete, assembled weapon, and he checked it out, called me back and then took my order for the barrel and had it shipped to me. It won't hurt to call customer service and talk to someone there.

sabinajiles said:
For the Illinois 2006-2007 late season antlerless only season, you can use a blackpowder pistol subject to the restrictions that jethro224 quoted. You are correct that you used to be able touse them, during the 2004-2005 late season anlerless only season, but then could not last year during the same season.

It's good to see the Illinois DNR will again allow muzzleloader pistols this year for the late season antlerless only season. It's too bad they will not allow them for the regular firearm season, as they allow center fire pistols, or during muzzleloader only season. The other great thing is this year any unfilled firearm, or muzzleloader season permits, can be filled during the late season antlerless only season, even though either sex permits will then be restricted to antlerless only deer, too.

They were never illegal for use in the late season. The application last year was wrong. I emailed them asking why they were illegal because I planned to use mine. And apparently the DNR would like to make them legal for firearms season. They just haven't accomplished this yet.

Thank you for bringing that to our attention. Muzzleloading handguns
have not been made illegal for use during the Late Winter Firearm Deer
Season. The application is in error, and we apologize. It contains the
language that applies to legal firearms during the regular firearm deer
season, not the late winter season. We would prefer to change all our
rules to ALLOW their use, but have not yet been successful in getting
the law changed that gives us the authority to do so. Hopefully this
can be accomplished soon.

Paul Shelton, Manager
Forest Wildlife Program
Illinois Department of Natural Resources

hawken45 said:
sabinajiles said:

They were never illegal for use in the late season. The application last year was wrong. I emailed them asking why they were illegal because I planned to use mine. And apparently the DNR would like to make them legal for firearms season. They just haven't accomplished this yet.

Thank you for bringing that to our attention. Muzzleloading handguns
have not been made illegal for use during the Late Winter Firearm Deer
Season. The application is in error, and we apologize. It contains the
language that applies to legal firearms during the regular firearm deer
season, not the late winter season. We would prefer to change all our
rules to ALLOW their use, but have not yet been successful in getting
the law changed that gives us the authority to do so. Hopefully this
can be accomplished soon.

Paul Shelton, Manager
Forest Wildlife Program
Illinois Department of Natural Resources

Yep. I checked it out thoroghly last year myself. Went and asked in person. Wanted to make sure. Last years reg book said the same thing on the subject as this years. Ya gotta read it close...

I carried my Great Plains Pistol last Late Winter season. Didn't even bring another gun along. It was gonna be with the pistol or not at all. Saw 2 nice bucks but nothin' antlerless. So I was glad I didn't tote the rifle. The pistol is a lot lighter. :grin:

I haven't seen the new regulation book, yet. I knew last year they weren't allowed.I guess I just read it wrong. I never read the regs for "late season" since I didn't have a permit for it.
I'm not "planning " on hunting it , this year. I'm hopeing I'll tag out during reagular and muzzleloader seasons.
I was going to buy a .54 and since I didn't believe I could use it, I didn't.
I posted a few weeks ago about using unused permits in the "late season".
Maybe I'll go ahead and order one, now.

this is awesome news I can save myself sales tax and dealer costs, the forum is great. Thanks again to all of you for the info. just took in my "parts truck' got 60 dollars closer to the goal. I think it is good to save money, this way recycling. You give back to the natural world and is how I have procured funds for some of my guns. Well thanks again.

Back