• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made some ball blocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
There's a little story behind these.
My wifes Grandfather who was a master woodworker and furniture builder passed away a few years back. He was a great man. When we cleaned out his workshop I inherited some of his woodworking tools. Since he built furniture for many many years I figured I would find some nice hardwood left over in his shop. I was wrong except for one small piece of scrap I found. I don't even know what kind of wood it is but it made some pretty nice ball blocks. I feel good now that I got to finally use some of the tools and made use of that small scrap of wood I found also.

DSC03149.jpg

HD

:bow: Scrap wood is my favorite food on a rainy ( got nothin' to do better ) day. I love the little projects you can do that make the time pass easily. Making Ball Blocks is one of my favorite pastimes and then giving them away to my Ml'ing friends.But that's some nice looking pieces of wood.I picked up some scrap black walnut pieces from a local woodworker, I am going to re-saw to 3/4" and then make some more (guess what) God you're smart--- :rotf: :thumbsup:

Nice! I've really come to appreciate the little three shot blocks. You can always throw the fixings in to refill them, but for most situations three is enough without dipping into the bag and it's small enough to hang or hide on the horn strap.

PitchyPine said:
Yep they look great, :thumbsup: what size bit do ya use for 54?

I used a 9/16 bit.

I made another block today for the .50 using a 1/2 bit. I haven't fed it any ball yet but I think I'll have to sand the holes out a bit for a good patch/ball fit.

HD

The Chart shown under member resources says to use a 19/32" drill bit. That works out to .59375". I think that would be a better choice for your ball block than going up to .620".

paulvallandigham said:
The Chart shown under member resources says to use a 19/32" drill bit. That works out to .59375". I think that would be a better choice for your ball block than going up to .620".

:thumbsup:

Now the hard part, finding a 19/32 bit.

HD

you could drill the larger size and then apply several coats of finish (which is good to seal the board and lessen lube migration) and get a build up to a good fitting inner diameter.

Huntin Dawg said:
PitchyPine said:
Yep they look great, :thumbsup: what size bit do ya use for 54?

I used a 9/16 bit.

I made another block today for the .50 using a 1/2 bit. I haven't fed it any ball yet but I think I'll have to sand the holes out a bit for a good patch/ball fit.

HD

Thanks, on my 50`s that i made and drilled 1/2 in i had too sand them out too a nice slightly loose fit. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back