• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made the change

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adbranaman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I gone and done it. I changed my Percussion to a flinter. It's a Chamsberburg Penn. 45. Shoots great as a percussion,but I got so used to my old Traditions flinter that I had to at least see if I liked it better. I kept the percussion just in case. The problem was my 1800's personna needed a flinter. Have yet to shoot it,just to cold. Now the weathers starting to break so I'll get out to do some shooting soon.

Just remember, the key to shooting a flintlock is to focus on the sights and target and forget about everything else. Pull the trigger, watch the sights and target and hold it steady. Follow thru is key to hitting. You can just pull the trigger and then move the gun to see where you hit, you've got to hold steady on target to let the gun go off. When you learn to shoot a flintlock you'll end up being a much better shot with ALL other rifles because of the follow thru that you'll develop. Another plus, you'll not have to waste money on caps so that'll save ya' some cash. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of flintlocks. :thumbsup:

Yea, they do make conversion kits for a lot of the production rifles. I've been shootin flint for several years now and they are a different ball game. Soft ball vs. Base ball. It took a while to get used to the flash without flinching.As for conversion kits; go from percussion to flint. It'd harder the other way. All you have to do most of the time is change the hammer assembly and the touch hole or liner as some call it. Mines a Pendersoli Chambersburg Penn. in .45. It shoots alot better then the Traditions did, but I still wish I'd kept it. I think the next one well be a smoothbore. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back