• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a Pattern 1756 Long Land British Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I don't use the gel and I don't thin the AcraGlas. I just mix the epoxy as usual per instructions and use only a small amount of flock to thicken the mix slightly. You don't need to thin the epoxy.

dave

Hi,
Here is a tidbit that you will never know unless you shoot a historically correct King's musket. Below is the typical nose cap and stock of a Pedersoli or Miroku Bess. Note the abrupt step to form the ramrod groove just behind the nose cap and almost half of the flared mouth of the first pipe is buried in the wood.
mXRI9Ab.jpg

When you return the ramrod after loading, you have to fiddle a little to slip the rod into that groove and then into the pipe. On a true Bess copy there is no step and the front of the pipe is more exposed above the pipe.

iFvvlqx.jpg

Now when returning the ramrod you simply have to hit the funnel of the pipe to insert the rod.. That little feature saves you 3-6 seconds when loading the musket and preparing to fire. The funnel feature of the pipe is wasted if it is buried in the wood.

dave

On a true Bess copy there is no step and the front of the pipe is more exposed above the pipe.

iFvvlqx.jpg

Now when returning the ramrod you simply have to hit the funnel of the pipe to insert the rod.. That little feature saves you 3-6 seconds when loading the musket and preparing to fire. The funnel feature of the pipe is wasted if it is buried in the wood.

dave
You pointed it out to me at Kempton… I haven’t forgotten… it’s in my list to do. It will bug me until I get it done. Trying to calm my life down. That, the fake pin for the butt plate and later a new side plate…
Marsh

Back