• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a Portable Casting Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a pretty good sized "deep-dish" pizza pan that I've set my Lee production pot in. It keeps all the junk in one spot and would contain a total bottom pour valve failure. A square of plywood under it insulates a bench top or tailgate. The big advantage is when I'm done I let it cool and just shelve the whole thing, ready for next time.

I think it would be very cool to have a solar powered lead smelter I wonder if obama will give me a tax credit for recycling "hazardous waste" while using solar panels maybe get profiled on living with ed until I blast a woodland critter with a homemade roundball.

. OCT 21 / 11:25PM

i get the "thumbs down" sense for the inverter.. in truth, it kinda kills the whole atmosphere of being portable and k-i-s-s to boot, doesn't it..

oh well, just threw that in to make sure i've covered all the bases.. the "drip pan" is a nice shortcut that solves the spilling issue so the workspace is back on budget and can be done now flat space with an edge to keep just ordinary stuff from rolling off and not molten lead..

finding one of the moulds is turning out to be a little difficult.. i need a nominal .64 cal (.610") to make rb for the lemat smoothbore and there are none to be had that i can see.. all the others (.454, .577) are easy enough.. i'll just have to keep looking.. if i can buy them ready-made, there must be one out there somewhere.

aaah, i can almost hear the crickets chirping already as i sit there under the moonlight melting and pouring hour after hour.. who knows i might really take a liking to this....

~d~

Back