• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

making a powder measure...SOS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjcgunnutt

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a 50 cal muzzle loader. i want to make a measure for it. i have a antler tine. it is around 3 1/4" long and just under an inch wide at the top. the top looks like a poitny triangle. i need help and info on how to hollow it out. it is really dence stuff. if no one know how to help. does anyone have ideas on difrent material?

I generally use a drill to make a "pilot" hole, then enlarge with rasps or files. Lotta guys use Dremels throughout, but I hate the smell and I'm in no hurry.

I've also made lots from woods using the same procedure.

If you google "The Horners Bench" theres some very good tutorials there and Scobrien posted one on how he makes his antler measures. :thumbsup:

I use a drill bit mounted in a variable power DeWalt battery powered drill.I find I have better control with this tool.When I'm close to the size I need out come the chain saw files,pocket knife and a small rasp for the dremel tool.Don't use a dremel grind rock unless you like terrible smells around the house :rotf:

I use a drill to start the hole and then chain saw files or fine chisels if the horn is straight. If the section has much curve I start with a drill and then use a bent rod to burn out the remainder. (THIS MUST BE DONE OUTSIDE ! ) :idunno: :idunno:

hand drill--- rat tail file--soak antler before to soften core...

some gifted and horse traded some by me...left an antler in the white to see the beginning..good luck....dan

IMG_19211.jpg

Back