• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making horn spout/plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jal5

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a good horn already that has a cap but not finished on the spout/plug end. Where can I read about making the spout/plug? I have seen some online that have the plug threaded into a collar that then attaches to the horn. Maybe something like that? If not threaded at least it needs some kind of collar that the plug will fit snugly into.

Thanks.
Joe

I just made a plug for my horn last night. I used a piece of hickory that I had and I cut me a piece about 4 inches long.
For the plug part I whittled it down with my knife and I tapered it as I got towards the top so that I would have a good seal in my horn. I then drilled a small hole in the top of it so that I can put a piece of leather on it to tie to my horn. Right now I have it soaking in linseed oil.

There is an featured article in www.hornguild.org with some pics of screwtip horns. I've been wanting to use a wood lathe to make a horn cap etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw those. Beautiful. It is what got me started thinking about the screw in plugs. I have seen some with a collar and threads on the outside of the horn and some with the threads on the inside of the horn. Very nice.

Another option would be a brass collar that plugs into the horn tip that has a brass plug fitted into it with an o-ring for a real tight fit. I have seen those on several sites now.

Joe

I think sometimes people try to re-invent the wheel! The same could be said here! Most of the old original powder horns had an unthread tapered spout stopper hole and just a tapered spout! Threads can be a problem in several area's. First, you have to fool-around unscrewing the stopper everytime you load. Then the threads get wore out and the stopper gets loose with use. And last. If you loose the threaded stopper at the range or in the woods. You have to go thru the process of making, fitting and threading a replacement! Whittled sticks make loosey replacements!

Rick

Rick you may be right. I may just make the simple plug and be done with it. :grin:

Joe

I have made a few horns, nothing fancy. I have found that a good plug that sticks tight works the best if it is a softwood. Hard to hard not as good. I use basswood,popular. You can make the plug then take a piece of antler tip,drill a hole and put the plug in it. I drill a hole tru the tip with the plug in it and put a piece of wire tru the hole. Then is easy to replace a new plug if I have too. Have two small goat horn primers I just did that need plugs. I cut the sticks and de bark and dry them before hand. Dilly

i use worn out violin or viola pegs for mine ... get them from my violin maker when i buy a new set of strings, i get one or two pegs ... often he's in a good mood and just lets me have them ... getting the correct taper takes some tinkering, but they work great (assuming you give them a quarter turn every month or so so they don't swell up in the horn and get everything jammed).

might or might not be pc/hc, but it works for me.

i chew up my stoppers pretty good after so much shooting. i just cut two inches off an old arrow shaft and whittle it in. cheap and easy and works great! till i need another....

I like the tuner peg idea and I have a musical instrument store right down the block! Will post a picture when I am done with this little project. Thanks.

Joe

I used a tuner peg for one of mine and it works well. To taper the spout hole a tapered reamer works well,if you have one the right size. The tang on a file works too.

I found a tapered peg reamer at my local Ace Tru-value hardware store, so they are available. Check with Brownell's or Dixie GWs, too.

Here's a couple examples of tips for you to consider! The Bear horn here, I used a violin peg. The salt horn below is a stopper I turned. BOTH ARE TAPERED!
Rick
1.jpg

FolkArtBloomFlattenedHornBottle.jpg

Back