• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

maple for stock blank?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainiac

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a dream of owning a flintlock long rifle,and have been looking around for parts. I want a blank of wood that i can get locally. Im finding alot of bird-eye,and a little curly. My questions are.... Do you guys make guns from bird-eye? Does anybody have pics that i could see of a birds-eye stock? The big question is,what are the diementions of a blank to make a long rifle? How thick/wide/long does the blank have to be? I realize i should just buy a blank already sawn,but i want it to be from local trees.I know i can come up with the basic plank,but then is there a place that will rough inlet my wood for me?thanks,mark

Not a Flinter or even a ML, but I have a sporterized Mauser carbine with a full-stock in birdseye maple. The wood was left blonde and IIRC, my builder had a heck of a time with all the birdseyes. IMO, I think it's a handsome piece of wood.

birdseye would be pretty, harder to work with, each birdseye is a "knot" with confused grain and the chance of popout or tearing....but do-able if you are careful and experienced.
Size? For an "average" ML with say a 42" barrel and 14" pull, the minimum stock length is about 58"-59", add a little "fudge factor" for layout and adjusting, say the blank should be 65" long.
Width? Depends on the "school", and ulitmately the drop...allowing for a typical drop, and butt width, make the blank a minimum of 9" wide.
Thickness? Whew!! Tough question...depends on how much cast you want, whether there will be a cheek piece...I usually try to get my blanks at least 2-1/4" thick...this gives me a lot of flexibility.
Traditional muzzle-loaders are known for their delicate/artful stocks...these carry no more wood than necessary, 80% of your blank will end up as chips and dust...my typical stock, with finish but no hardware ends up around 2 - 2 1/2 lbs.....BUT ya gotta start with enough blank to give yourself flexibility and "recovery" wood...get a copy of "The Gunsmiths of Greenville County", or "Recreating the American Longrifle" (both available from TOTW) for lots more info...both should be required reading.

IMHO, If you have not made a rifle before, definitely Do Not start with birdseye. It is a real PITA to work with & will be extremely discouraging. If you want one, buy a plank ? 12-15" x 2 3/4 or 3" x 6', seal the ends well with some wax & put it away. Then get ya a good curly maple blank & build the rifle. After about 10 of the regular rifles, you may have the patience to do the birdseye one, IMHO.

Back