• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maple vs. Walnut for SxS shotgun stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to have a Turkish walnut stocked muzzleloader, pc or not!
Diss agree the french is better ???? . EM Reilly went over to better quality french walnut in 1848 don’t know why it’s different unless the trees are a different strain or go bigger Or french walnut was more plentiful. Photo cape rifle 1853 french walnut at a guess by EM Reilly junior Today the best walnut seems to be coming from Turkey
Perhaps due to the English being the masters of building fine shotguns, the term “English Walnut is often interchanged with “European Walnut”. Climate/geographic location is a “major” factor in selecting Walnut for fine shotgun stocks, and it has been a strong consensus amongst the big name makers that the finest Walnut for gun stocks has traditionally come from regions in France and later, Turkey. Generally, the walnut from these regions have the finest attributes of light weight, proper flex/strength, workability/grain, and beauty.
IMO, regardless of the particular region, fine walnut seems to exist for the purpose stocking fine shotguns. A couple of late 19th century Purdey “Best” game guns still in use having maintained their beauty and integrity for generations.
7507EAAB-D44B-4CBA-A363-CF32FB2E5C52.jpegD251232F-A349-4FD3-AE93-505BC1E6C6BB.jpeg

Last edited:
English or Turkish walnut is the way to go. But a really nice blank can get extremely expensive. Pretty easy for a english or turkish walnut blank to hit $2500+.

So after all this information, I figured I won't build a gun, I'll just buy the closest thing to what I want. That is the Pedersoli Old English model. I read the specs and wouldn't you know, it comes with a MAPLE stock... Ugh...

So after all this information, I figured I won't build a gun, I'll just buy the closest thing to what I want. That is the Pedersoli Old English model. I read the specs and wouldn't you know, it comes with a MAPLE stock... Ugh...
WOW. With all the walnut stocked stuff pedersoli sells id figure walnut would be a given.

If you are going to make one, I'd use what you like. I stocked a M1 with a nice piece of curly maple that looks FANTASTIC. All the people that have seen it just LOVE it. It does get quite a stir on the firing line. :ghostly:

Latest posts

Back