• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,

Your´re both correct. I´m working with your wreck, Robin.And it is transforming now, slowly, from a wreck into a beautiful Girl!
And I´m also working on your guns ,Arilar
Sort of shift between´em , so as not to be bored with just one object.
Alas, when will I ever have time to continue on my own 1761 Jaeger project!?
Magnus in Sweden

Hi Gunman 100

is it possible there is something wrong with your email adress?
I cannot get thru with a message
Contact me at:

Magnus in Sweden

I have a small paperback catalog of Japanese arms which has a page of five illustrations of matchlock shooting positions. One position shows a sling in use while firing the matchlock from the hip. The sling is a loop placed over the head, around the neck like a whistle lanyard. The free ends are attached to the midpoind of the weapon.

Gunman100 said:
Arilar, look under Teppo's topic than click to[url] www.japaneseweapons.com[/url] - matchlocks - accesiories
then look at the bottom picture the percussionlock gun.

Paul. :grin:
Sorry Paul,
I may have confused you. I found the picture after you mentioned it first time :v . But i still believe its a carrying-sling :(
Regards, ARILAR :grin: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gunman

did you get my email with picture of shooting sling?
I mailed it in the ordinary Outlook Express mail

Magnus in Sweden

Hi Bovey,
I would be verry happy if you could send me a copy of this picture , is it possible to send it by fax or mail my fax nr is :0031 402048472-mail:p[email protected]

Thanks a lot :bow:

Paul :thumbsup:

Hi Arilar , well I have send a mail to Donald Malcom bud he replied : that it is still a PERCUSSION weapon where the sling in the picture is mounted on. :nono: so it is not to be used on a matchlock.

Paul

Sent you an email with the image of the sling. Hope that helps... Warren

This page contends that Polish cavalry used the sling , but you'd have to shoot one-handed then.
[url] http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/PolishFirearms.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

When I was at Batesville I was talking to a Norwegian (I think) who had just purchased a very nice matchlock pistol from one of the Japanese Team who was still there; he specifically mentioned that the ring on the front of matchlock barrels was to hold a string which you stood on to prevent the barrel rising when fired (as per Siggies book).

I think it would be difficult for the Delegates to decide that this method could not be used as it is historically correct, nor would it present an unfair advantage because we could all use this method - hense - no advantage. However, I, as a Delegate I would wish to oppose its use as we are there to test an individuals skill at shooting and this would represent an artificial aid.

Incidently, it has been mentioned that the heart beat can come into play when using a sling. I am watching the biathlon and they are shooting standing without a sling with a heart rate of 180!!! Makes you wonder - don't it?

Briggers

Something you should know! It is the MLAIC Delegates that decide how our sport is managed, if you are not happy with decisions that are made or on advice that you have been given, contact your Delegate, make sure they know your views, it is only in this way that we can keep our sport democratic.

Donald Malson will give you advice based on his assessment of the situation, as one of the most senior members of the MLAIC his knowledge is pretty sound. In the case of the sling situation, Bucky asked the Commission for their view on the subject and it was their view that there is no empirical evidence to suggest that they were used in ”˜the period’ hence the ban! This will of course have to be voted on at the Delegates Meeting in Bordeaux during the World Championships, so you have till then to find some evidence.

Hope this helps.

Briggers

Dear Mr.Briggers Matchlockman ,

I am not trying to change the rules , I want to make use of them .
Rule 331 states verry clearly : Prone Kneeling and standing shal be as difined by ISSF rules,but use of a carrying sling is permitted for all positions .

And there is as far as I can see no event excluded.
This rule is not made for me , I think that every competitor can make use of it.
Only becouse there has been (several)complaints during the zonechampionships in Pfortsheim the sling should be forbidden ??????? :confused:
And therefore the rules should be shanget ?

In the book of Mr Sugawa is a drawing at page 7 of a matchlock with a sling hole :thumbsup:

Paul :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back