• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maxiballs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
As you guys might know from the General forum I am gonna be trying out some 580gr Maxiballs in my 58cal Renegade. How do the Maxiballs perform in the field? I will hunt both elk and large mule deer with these. I have heard good things about them. Also, what do you guys think about the maxi-hunter?

Thanks
Kirk

The large, 266 grain LEAD ROUND BALL that is fired in that rifle is all that is needed to take either Mule deer or elk. The Maxiball is OVERKILL, which usually means its going to be killing your shoulder and cheek. Unless you practice with these slugs all the time, ( that is expensive), you are going to develope a huge FLINCH with these things. You can't Miss fast enough, or more powerful enough to bring down that game with a second shot. That is why we recommend concentrating on accurate placement of your projectile, rather than increasing the weight of it. Both animals are grass eaters, NOT PREDATORS. Put a LEAD RB into their heat lung area, and they are going down. Spend some time learning to identify, follow, and age tracks before the big hunt. Practice shooting RBs with reduced powder charges at the range, so you get use to the rifle, and its recoil characteristics. Then, before the hunt, go ahead a do some limited practice shooting your hunting load

Your T/C, 32 inch, .58 cal. barrel will burn 103 grains of powder efficiently. A load in the 80=90 grain area is more than enough to kill elk or mule deer within 100 yards, and after that distance, that large ball( or slug) is going to be dropping so much that you would need an electronic range finder to accurately figure out the distance precisely enough to be able to put your projectile on the game.

If you will do some penetration comparision testing with a lead ball vs. a maxiball, and compare both of them to any modern " elk " rifle y9ou might have, I think you will find that the RB is more than enough. Based on tests I have done with other calibers, I would expect your .58 RB to go through 8-one inch pine boards, spaced an inch apart, or through about 16 inches of flesh and bone, the same as a 180 grain Jacketed Round Nose .30-06 bullet will do. I don't think anyone will argue that that .30-06 load won't kill all the mule deer and elk you can find! And it puts a much smaller hole in the animal than your .58 will do.

Remember there are 437.5 grains to the ounce, and that 266 grain RB weighs about 5/8 of an ounce. Its HUGE, and once it gets going, it keeps going until it hits something solid. Flesh is not a solid. That heavy RB will also crush living bone quite well, and pass through shots on elk with that caliber of RB are rather common. The same can be said for the slightly smaller, .54 RB. And, Lead RBs do mushroom well in flesh, leaving a half dollar sized hole through the vital organs. Death is caused by hemorrhaging, and the sudden drop in Blood Pressure, depriving vital organs and the brain of needed oxygen.

If you insist on using the Maxi-balls, please go to the Member Resources section here, scroll down to " articles ", and read my article on controlling heavy recoil. It will help you be able to place some of the bullets some of the time, at the POA. I can't overcome the flinch you are likely to develop, but you might still put one of those slugs where it will bring down the game quickly.

I can manage a lot of recoil very well so that is not an issue at all. If a .223 will kill a deer then why is everyone using a 30-06? Because the bigger can better. I will only shoot 100yds max with my open sights but i dont even like to shoot that. I try to stay within 80yds so trajectory is also not an issue. With the right charge I will be fine. All I am doing is trying these out. I might shoot the Great Plains conical, roundball, or these. I like the 525gr Great Plains conical with 100gr of powder. That is a real accurate load in my rifle. I have shot those with 120gr of powder to. If the maxiballs work then I might try them out hunting this year. The roundball is good and I love shooting them but conicals can be better. Its all just a personal preference.

So back to the topic: How does the maxiball perform on deer and elk?

If your elk and mule deer hunting translates into longer shots, you'll be happy you have the maxies rather than RBs. They're just better for longer range shooting, all theory and RB loyalty aside. Yup, you gotta manage more recoil, but if you can do it they'll have bonus points for you when you get out of eastern woods and into more open western country. Inside 100 yards, their only advantage might be in penetration on shots at bad angles, but that's theoretical for me. I just don't take texas heart shots.

Living in Colorado I think conicals are better for me. I will have to get closer using a RB on elk where if I am loaded with a conical I can take a 100yd shot at an elk with confidence that it will go down.

What Brown Bear said... :thumbsup:

But then, most of my hunting has been in the wide open spaces of the western US and NW Canada where shots are usually long.

BTW, while they may have more recoil to manage than a PRB, few hunters are going to notice it while making their "one good shot" on game. :wink:

". The roundball is good and I love shooting them but conicals can be better."

Never have some many heard such BS expressed by so few, get yourself a nice trappdoor cartridge gun them is even much more betterest yet

", what do you guys think about the maxi-hunter?"

you really don't want to know particularly on a Sunday...

the superiority of conicals is on paper an it ends there, i know many folks who tried modern bullets on Elk and deer many years ago and they have gone back to what works best..the PRB, use the modern bullets if you chose but try not to mention them and the word traditional in the same sentence and eveyone will get along.

Tg: The Conicals such as the Maxi-ball, or Great Plains Hunter may not be " traditional", but they work. I do think we stretch things a bit when a poster askes a question about a choice of balls at traditional open sight ranges, and then someone comes on and begins putting down RBs because they won't work as well at ranges beyond 100 yards. That is a fallacy of argument called " straw manning ". If people want to change the question, then they should have the decency to start a new topic, here, IMHO.

I would not hesitate to recomment the largest conical bullet for any hunter hunting Bears, or even hunting Elk in Bear Country( or Caribou). This poster asked about using Maxiballs to shoot Mule Deer and Elk, which is a pretty good indication he is hunting in one of the western states that has both animals living in sufficient numbers that there are seasons for both that overlap. While we have seen the return of the Grizzly bear in the lower 48 in some numbers, They are not hunted legally to the best of my knowledge in any of those states. Those states with Black Bear populations have few places where Black Bear numbers are large enough in territory or terrain that hosts both Mule Deer and Elk, that you want to be carrying a MLer stuffed with a conical. IN the places where black bear are present in Elk And Mule Deer country, you want something more than a single shot rifle, or at least a partner with his backup rifle, and wearing lead shoes! :hmm: :wink: :thumbsup:

So what are you guys saying? All im getting is a bunch of manure for wanting to try out a conical. Stuff doese not need to be 100% traditional.

This question is for those who have truly tried the maxiball.

Sharp Shooter, I used the 370gr .50 cal maxi years ago and took 5 Whitetail bucks with it. All but one dropped were they stood (shoulder shots), except one, the biggest which ran about 50 yards after a quartering away shot that took out his far shoulder. They pretty much drive right through with little to no expansion. Never recovered one.

Swamp Rat said:
They pretty much drive right through with little to no expansion. Never recovered one.

That's what im worried about is not getting expansion. Thats why I like the Great Plains.

Based on what I've seen at 50 and 54 cal, you don't really need to rely on expansion for good kills. At 58 cal, it certainly shouldn't be an issue.

Heck, the world is full of conventional revolver hunters who use very hard cast lead to prevent expansion, relying instead on a good flat nose or meplat to do lots of damage as the bullet pushes on through. And they're pushing 44 (actually .429) and 45 caliber bullets a lot lighter than you're talking at virtually the same velocities produced by muzzleloaders. Heck, I've used them myself for years successfully.

There's nothing about painting a hunk of lead with bear grease and smoking its hind end with black powder that makes it less effective than a hunk of lead fired at the same velocity out of a conventional firearm. That's basic ballistics.

Everything else is pure soap box.

Sharp Shooter said:
Swamp Rat said:
They pretty much drive right through with little to no expansion. Never recovered one.

That's what im worried about is not getting expansion. Thats why I like the Great Plains.

Even though I use only PRB nowadays, I have used conicals in the past with good results. I posted this picture before, but I think it pertains to this discussion.
These are a pair of expanded .54 conicals I recovered from 2 kills on whitetails. One is a Hornady and the other is a Buffalo. Both are 425 grs. I shot about a dozen deer with these but I only recovered two. All shots were shoulder shots, but not all were the same angle.
As I stated, I use PRB now, but I had good success with conicals.

IMG_4085.jpg

" All im getting is a bunch of manure for wanting to try out a conical. Stuff doese not need to be 100% traditional"

Waugh! there you go useing Conical and tradtional in the same sentence, toss some salt over your shoulder.One mans manure is anothers valuble information on projectiles.

Go to the range with all three and put in some serious time. Shoot a lot and see what is the most accurate at your maximum range with a hunting load.

This can be fun if you think about it.

I have shot four mule deer with home rolled 370 grain Maxis using Lyman Black Powder Gold lube.
Two of the deer never took another step, one went 30 yards and died and one (shot through the heart), actually went 100 yards and dropped. I have recovered 2 of the 4 bullets and they were flattened except for the base itself. This is a devastating bullet as far as I am concerned. :grin:

"love those old guns"

arkrivco

tg said:
" All im getting is a bunch of manure for wanting to try out a conical. Stuff doese not need to be 100% traditional"

Waugh! there you go useing Conical and tradtional in the same sentence, toss some salt over your shoulder.One mans manure is anothers valuble information on projectiles.

Actually those are two separate sentences! lol :wink:

I have used the 370 maxie for most of my hunting have taken 10 to 12 deer most pass througs thats a 50 cal. I have taken two elk with maxies and seen 6 or 7 others taken all needed more then one shot and no pass throughs. I have taken 3 deer with the 58 maxie (560) and 115 grans of 2f no elk with that one. two of the deer went down at the shot the other went about 40 yards. all shots under 100 yards. I think that round balls in the 58 would do just as good if you keep your shots in the 50 yard range of less. have a good night Tom

In the past I have shot tons of maxies in my 50 and have a lyman mold designed after the maxie.
What I have found is that a maxie is picky about the barrel it is shot out of, My blueridge carbin with a 1 in 33 twist loved it but I had a TC one in 48 that woulden't group pie plate at 50 yrds. Have seen that in other guns as well.
If your gonna' shoot a heavy conicle out here in CO put an ajustable rear site(creedmore) on your rifle so you can point of aim out to 100 yrds.
Also try different conicles and maby cast a lighter bullet and see how that works.
I found in my 50 a cast 270 grn maxiball gave me excelant accuracy and killing power.
Now before sombody says TC doesen't make a 270 grn maxi your right it's a lyman mold I found patterned after a maxie I also like SPG lube over TC's lube I have found it to be much more accurate

Back