• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maxiballs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When talking ball versus bullet we need to consider caliber. In calibers smaller than .50 I would prefer a conical for reliable penetration, if larger than .50 those conicals run pretty heavy and it's hard to drive them fast enough for a good trajectory without shoulder wrenching recoil. In your .58 there is no question that a round ball is plenty of lead and you should be able to run it 1600 fps which will shoot flat enough for shots to 125 yards. That 580 grain conical with 100 grains of powder will likely not top 1000 fps and at that speed there is a huge drop from 50 to 100 yards. But since you're shooting a Renegade it is probably more a question of what will group accurately. Shot placement is the key, don't for a moment think that big slug will "make-up-for" sloppy shooting, not even slightly sloppy shooting. The flatter trajectory and reduced recoil of the ball both contribute to better shot placement while the greater weight of the conical contributes nothing useful I can think of. :grin:

The conical is heavier, so it hits harder, and it flies straighter at longer distances, not necessarily flatter. I think the saying a lot of folks are looking for is, "enough is enough." A round ball hits hard enough and flies straight enough to do its work within 125 or so. Do you wanna chance a shot longer than that? Do you have a tang sight or at least a flip up leaf?

Could the Confederates skirmishers have killed Gen Sedgewick at 300-500 yards with a round ball? Probably not.
Could Maj BLackford's men have reliably hit targets at 600 yards with a round ball? Not a chance.

But how far do you need to shoot to kill something that's not shooting back? It's up to you, I say the longer the better.

CoyoteJoe said:
don't for a moment think that a big slug will "make-up-for" sloppy shooting, not even slightly sloppy shooting. The flatter trajectory and reduced recoil of the ball both contribute to better shot placement while the greater weight of the conical contributes nothing useful I can think of. :grin:

Amen brother spoken like a true sage.
:bow: :bow:

Back