• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Me and Gunter's sawn flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In a way you might call this confession time even though I haven't done anything wrong. But, as a former journalist, I feel it is time to give "full disclosure" as they say.
Some may have noted that I am a fan of sawn flints. Others here refer to them as "sawn agate". Now, I do not know what kind of rock agate is, not my area of expertise. I don't know if it is a flint or what. I'm sure some of the sawn flints I have used in the past were agate but I don't know which ones were, or were not.
Here is the story: Sometime between 1970 and 1976 I purchased some sawn flints from a vendor at Friendship. I later learned they were made by Gunter Stifter of Germany. I used them and was very pleased and impressed. They sparked like fire monsters and lasted much-much longer than the knapped blacks from England.
Now, I have been a writer since 1953 (yes, folks, I am old :wink: ). I have written product reviews many times, many of them professionally. Those reviews have been on a variety of subjects. (modern guns and accessories, muzzle loading guns and supplies, woodworking tools and supplies and much more) I write it as I experience it. Good is reported good, bad is reported bad.
I wrote a review of my experience with the Gunter Stifter sawn flints and it was published in Muzzle Blasts. Gunter later (note: "later") saw the review and sent me a very generous supply of his sawn flints in appreciation. For the record, there was no pre-agreement with Gunter regarding the review, his gift came after fact and, thus, I had no problem with ethically accepting the gift. To this date I am still using his flints from that generous gift. Of the several dozen he sent, I have only about six left unused.
In all that time my experience with them has been such that, IMHO, their vastly superior performance puts them in a class that leaves the Fuller knapped blacks miles behind, there is simply no comparison.
I have no idea where the "sawn agates" others here refer to come from. But, I'll admit, a close friend has tried some of the "sawn agates" from TC and he reports they simply shatter on first strike and he, of course, has no use for them and I can't blame him.
They are, obviously, of a different stone and quality than the ones I have used and talk about.
I didn't mean to make this post so long. But, I'm on a roll. Sorry. :redface:
Anyhow, Gunter's sawn flints are sold in a variety of stones and he does have different pricing for some of them. There are differences. He even has one that is polished, jewel like, for presentation purposes. I don't have any of those, they are expensive.
If you want to contact Gunter, he does sell to the U.S. But, I warn you, his website is near incomprehensible. Next time I order, I'm just going to send money and tell him what size I want and to please send whatever that will buy. Contact: http://stifters-gunflints.de/

Last edited by a moderator:
Great clarification, and this is another good example of the misunderstandings that can occur when we lump or label things that seem similar together. "Sawn agate flints" are obviously not all the same regardless of who makes them and where you get them. I have found the same to be true of "English flints" and "French flints".

What you are using is actual flint, just sawn to shape rather than knapped. It is not Agate, which is closer to quartz in its strength, and shatters as easily.

I am sure you can google agate and see and learn all you could possibly want to know about this kind of rock. If you study up on flint, the differences will be apparent. :hatsoff:

Since you were, at the very least not clear, misleading people here, why would I believe your review?
But thank you very much for clarification of the “mystery”!

My brother sent me some flints from Buenos Aires He found on the river.I have no idea what they are but they must be what you are describing there.
Some pictures would clarify that.
This is what I have
HPIM2357.jpg

I cut them with a diamont saw and have outperformed anything else
Here I put the flashligth so you can see how translucent they are.
HPIM2351.jpg

HPIM2349.jpg

HPIM2352.jpg

they don't even need to be very sharp, allmost dull will still work
HPIM2353.jpg

Do they look anything like what you are talking about?

paulvallandigham said:
What you are using is actual flint, just sawn to shape rather than knapped. It is not Agate, which is closer to quartz in its strength, and shatters as easily.

I am sure you can google agate and see and learn all you could possibly want to know about this kind of rock. If you study up on flint, the differences will be apparent. :hatsoff:

I seem to have stirred some passions and discussions here with my post about sawn flints. :shocked2: Surprising as I have never done that before. :wink:
I'll try to clarify some things, based on my experience. The sawn 'gun flints' sent to me by Gunter Stifter varied in appearance. His website lists several types cut from different stones. The on in the lock I showed just happens to be white. Why, I don't know, but I seem to have saved the white ones to last and have used up the rest. Maybe because the white ones are pretties. I dunno. :idunno: The used ones were various colors of brown, red, mottled, etc. None were black.
As for hardness, I did Google "agate" and "flint". Most scales show them both to be about a 7 in hardness on the Mohs scale. Quartz is often shown to be harder.
Agate does come in many various colors and is considered a gem stone by many.
Again, I dunno, what the stones are Gunter sent me. I have used them happily for all these years and don't care what they are made from. I just care that they work for the purpose intended. And they do.
As for agate shattering. I dispute that. In the pic below are several of Gunters flints showing different colors. Off to the side is a hunk of red agate given to me by the famous knapper, D.C. Waldorf many years ago. It was much larger 40 years ago. I have used it for fire starting with a steel striker. It sparks very well and has not shattered. And, for the record, I have never had a gun flint shatter, Gunter's, Fullers or any kind.
If I may digress. I've never done that before either. :redface: There seem to be some words that when used on these forums cause great consternation and, sometimes ugly, differences of opinion. A couple are: Wal-Mart; WD-40. Now, we can add 'sawn flints'. Oh, well. Now you can look at the picture. :surrender:
flints.jpg

Rifleman1776 said:
Why, I don't know, but I seem to have saved the white ones to last and have used up the rest. Maybe because the white ones are pretties.
I've used Gunter's flints and found them to be OK, some colors better than others.Those white ones from him are translucent, and I don't think they are flint.

GunterE.jpg

GunterG.jpg

Spence

Rifleman1776, I suspect the ire that swan agate “flints” brings is, everybody on this forum almost universally dislikes them. One of a myriad of things of which the others none of us agree on.

I'm a little confused as to this "like/dislike" isue.When I shoot mi recurve I went many times with a guy with a crossbow, when I go hunting with my flintlock I go with my friend with his sniper rifle .308.Some of my locks like lead wraping for the flint , others leather.I wear camo many times and other times a jean jacket.
To me a gun flint is the one that works in a particular gun, all others are junk, and that said junk is gold in other gun.I'm still confused :confused:

I went to the Stifters website that you posted and immediately found myself as lost as a goose in a fog. Incomprehensable??? :confused: You bet! Then I figured out the problem :hmm: .....it is written in German and I don't speak German. I surely would like to try some of his flints based upon your recommendation but I am afraid that if I ordered from his website I might get something like a left handed football bat. :haha: Do you know of anyone here in the states that sells his flints? I stand a better chance of getting what I want if I can deal with someone who speaks "American". :thumbsup:

Yeah, ain't muzzleloaders a hoot. They are sort of like kids, some like one thing and some like another. Kind of like spinich and broccoli V.S. mac and cheese. Your job is to find just exactly what your muzzleloader likes and then feed it that. When it is happy, it shoots its best.

TOW used to stock his flints but reports are they no longer do.
I would simply write Gunter and tell him what you want and ask how to pay.
They ain't cheep. A Euro is roughly equivalent to a Dollar.
BTW, Jaspis is Jasper, the rest on his current site are listed as agate.
While yer at it ask about shipping charges for that big gun he is posed next to. :shocked2: :rotf:
While we are stoking the controversy. I just replaced two guns that had Fuller blacks with white Gunter flints. Holie hoppin' hellbenders :shocked2: wadda incredible difference. Even in the Davis Jaeger lock that I am not very fond of and it sparked like a Brazilian Carnival.

Latest posts

Back