• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Metal Ramrods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abel

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How often did brass or even iron ramrods get used on Hawkens, Plains, or Trade rifles? I see that there are a couple of online stores that sell them, but how period correct are they actually?

Easy answer, probably never used on a plains rifle, and therefore, not period correct.

(Now watch someone come up with an example) :grin: Bill

Abel,
Have never seen one on an original, in person or photographs, but that's not to say someone didn't use one. Brass and iron rods were probably pretty scarce, outside the military rifles, and would be heavy also.
Mark

Abel said:
...but how period correct are they actually?
Steel (not brass) ramrods were not uncommon on MILITARY guns, but otherwise not PC at all.

I've been to a lot of museums and seen a lot of original rifles but have never seen a metal rod of any kind on any of the originals other than military rifles. If you want a metal rod but want to be period correct, there is a company who makes metal rods with wood on the outside. They look right but are metal on the inside. The best of both worlds. I don't remember the maker but seem to remember that they were called "indestructable rods". A little searching should turn them up.

Black Hand said:
In reality, a good-quality wooden rod is really all you need.

Amen. To me, a good straight grained hickory ramrod is so much better. They're lighter, easier to grab, and they WILL NOT BREAK as long as the grain is correct. I've yet to wear one out. And hickory is so darned American :thumbsup: . Bill

Where can I buy a quality straight grained hickory ramrod with the ends already installed so they won't come off?

Abel said:
Where can I buy a quality straight grained hickory ramrod with the ends already installed so they won't come off?
I make my own.
Bought a piece of straight-grained hickory and used planes, scrapers and sandpaper to make a tapered rod. Fitted and pinned the tip.

The entire board (enough to make a dozen rods) cost less than $15.

I use a 1/8" wall brass 3/8" diameter tube for the ramrod on a .58 Renegade and also on a shorty .50 cal fast twist heavy bullet carbine made from a Renegade. The little bit of extra weight isn't detrimental in those applications.

Abel,
You can make one yourself for a lot less than buying and shipping will cost you. Depending on the caliber you are shooting, I have even used brass cases from a centerfire pistol round. Punch out the primer, fit the case to the rod and pin it with a #6 finish nail or piece of small wire.
Mark

If you do consider making your own (it's actually pretty easy and fun), here's the guy I use to get my blanks. He only sends nearly perfect sticks, they are very cheap, you can order different diameters, and Steve is a great guy to talk to. If you don't like the rods, you can send them back and he'll replace them, but in all the years he's been selling them, he told me he only had one sent back. I got his name from a fellow member.

Steve Bailey 573-768-6545 or 573-547-4540

i bought a oak dowl at home depot put brass on the ends it broke and went tru my hand hurt like sob

Rifleman1776 said:
WILL NOT BREAK as long as the grain is correct

Wish that were true. :shocked2:
They can break and dangerously so.
Must be used properly and with as much respect as a loaded gun.

I got a permanant reminder of a broken ram rod from a 45 cal TN MT rifle while 2 1/2 miles back in the swamp. Dragging a deer, carrying a long rifle and bleeding is bad enough but when you see a big 10 point watching you do it laughing because your guns halfway loaded is salt in the wound. Ram rods break and go thru hands..

gypodog99 said:
i bought a oak dowl at home depot put brass on the ends it broke and went tru my hand hurt like sob

Very few wood species are suitable for ramrods. As gypodog learned, oak isn't suitable for ramrods. Most dowels at the big box stores aren't suitable for ramrods. Take the time to find hickory rods. The long and tough grain structure of hickory just makes the best rods.

Back