• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade gun for grizzlies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Random thought..

If you were out there. You know grizzly wants to eat you.

Is running at you. You have One shot.

Do you take the 20 yard or so shot when you see the bear coming

Or

Hold it. Holding Hold it till that thing is the length of the gun away or closer.. like your going to powder burn that thing.

Could you Hold it.

A grizzly at 20 yards and coming fast is the time of a trigger pull and ignition away so best pull the trigger immediately.

I think 10 yards and that thing is in the muzzle.

15 yards maybe it will go off 5 feet away and that's good..

To soon like right away you see it you shoot.. you can still run away maybe.

Just a tuff situation.

You could just run.. run. Run. Save the shot for last resort.

Lay down right away. play dead... then before it eats you.. BANG.

I seen this video.. I'm trying to find now.

This bear was chasing a squirrel like hell.. right up tree.. that bear for a squirrel was taking down the tree.

A grizzly at 20 yards and coming fast is the time of a trigger pull and ignition away so best pull the trigger immediately.
and aim low. a griz can go from zero to tender meat in a blink of the eye.
I live with the things day in and day out. i carry either a .41 mag or a .44 mag when out and about. so far have never had a bad interaction with a griz. black bear, yes. have a permeant limp from one sore head. i pat him on the head every morning and greet him with "good morning A hole." wife thinks i should get rid of the rug.

Last edited:

Not the video I was looking for.

I'm not a ground hog and he dug that up and got it.

The squirrels not fast enough.. like that thing lol I can't run like a squirrels.

I'd kinda want to have a dog with me out there.

I had a Walker coon hound. For a pet. He was smart. Even though I never hunted him, good dog smart dog. Don't know how we would do against a bear but that's the only buddy I'd think of.

Last edited:
And the dog might run right under your legs to hide when he sees the bear! I quit hunting with a muzzle loader when I moved into an area that was loaded with Brown Bears. Trying to down a charging bear with one shot takes at least as much luck as it does skill. I knew 3 different hunters who got chewed up by the darn things and knew of a couple who were killed. Even a heavily loaded 45-70 seemed small and inefficient when one stood up and huffed at me. Luckily, I never had one charge me.

Back