• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MH Military Doglock Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scroggwe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I ordered the Military Doglock Musket from Military Heritage. They were on back order and didn't expect them in until the end of February. I called them today to make sure that my name was still on their waiting list and found out that the muskets had came in early and they shipped my musket to me on Feb. 3rd. According to UPS it will be here Monday! :grin: I am a happy camper! Will let ya'll know how it looks when it comes in. It's gonna be a long weekend. I may have to call in sick on Monday as I feel a case of musket flu developing! :shocked2:

Bill S. said:
Two weeks ago I ordered the Military Doglock Musket from Military Heritage. They were on back order and didn't expect them in until the end of February. I called them today to make sure that my name was still on their waiting list and found out that the muskets had came in early and they shipped my musket to me on Feb. 3rd. According to UPS it will be here Monday! :grin: I am a happy camper! Will let ya'll know how it looks when it comes in. It's gonna be a long weekend. I may have to call in sick on Monday as I feel a case of musket flu developing! :shocked2:

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear the report. I pick up (in person) my North West Trade Gun tomorrow (2/10). The builder is only 1hr away from me. :)

All good things come to those who wait... :)

doglock.jpg

Well, my doglock musket came in three days early! I recieved it about 30 minutes ago. It is a very nice musket, overall and I am not disappointed. But, the bad news is, it was damaged by UPS!!! :cursing: There was a large hole in the shipping box. The musket was nicely wrapped in bubblewrap and styrofoam peanuts, but the wooden ramrod was completely broken in half just below the lower thimble. It looks like it took a good hit and it is obvious that the damage was caused by UPS package handlers. There was no other damage to the musket. The rammer must have taken the full brunt of the hit, whatever it was. The package was even marked "Fragile". That must mean to UPS, "don't throw farthur than 5 feet". :shocked2: I tried calling Military Heritage to get them to send me out a replacement rammer, but they were already closed for the day. I will have to call them on Monday.

The musket appears well made with a nice reddish brown finish to the stock, which I believe is rosewood? The finish on the metal surfaces is very good. The cock is very slightly loose, but I believe it will tighten up. I may have to put a small thin washer under the cock screw to tighten it. The muzzle crown is very sharp and needs to be crowned a little better. I can do that myself. But for the price, I am not really disappointed in the musket. I am disappointed in UPS! It is a beautiful musket. The lock plate is marked, "Walker". The side plate is a nicely engraved serpent pattern. It has a fairly heavy trigger pull and the square-topped frizzen is a little stiff. The brass buttplate is nailed on as I believe the originals were.

I would like to shoot it this weekend, but still need to drill the vent hole. I will probably use a 1/16" bit. I can use the rammer out of my Pedersoli Short Land Pattern Musket until I get a replacement rammer from MH. Oh, wait a minute, that won't work. The doglock musket is .69 caliber and my Brown Bess is .75 caliber. Hmm, maybe I can use the rammer out of my Armisport Model 1842 Musket. Oh well!

Glad that you receive it ok, except for the UPS screwup. You could always get a 5/8" wooden dowel to use for a ramrod until they can send you a replacement rod. Have fun and post range results and pics.

Hey Bill S.

I am looking to buy a smoothbore around 12 gauge which is .729 which will shoot a standard size patched round ball good groups at 50 yards and will shoot #4 shot with a good pattern at 50 yards! I want the caliber to be somewhat standard so I can readily buy round balls and patches for. Single barrel, no rear sight, # 11 caplock ignition.. ANY THOUGHTS?

Thank You

You may get decent rd ball groups at 50 yds, but i think you are going to have a hard time getting good shot patterns at 50 yds with any MLer. Most cartridge guns for that matter, unless they have an extra full choke tube.

Well, I tightened up the cock by placing a small thin washer under the cock screw. The cock is nice and tight now. All I gotta do now is drill the touch hole and replace the broken rammer. I put a flint in the cock and tried it. It throws a better shower of sparks than my Pedersoli Brown Bess. I am very happy with this musket. It was a real deal at $539.00, actually I paid a little less than that with the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar.

Well, here it is months later and I'm still waiting on my replacement rammer. This is after calling them 3 times and an email. I emailed them a week and a half ago and they replied that they were finally shipping my rammer to me that day. Still waiting!

I did finally get to the range with the musket. I used the rammer from my Armisport '42 Springfield. I loaded .685 RBs with a .005 Wonder patch. The first two attempts to shoot resulted in misfires. I used a vent pick and it fired. My first 5 shots were about 2" low at 25 yards, until I figured out how to aim the musket. I had to align the barrel so that I could just see the front sight/bayonet lug. After that I fired 10 round consistently in the 8 and 9 rings at 25 yards. I ran out of time, so didn't get to try it at 50 yards. Ignition was a little slow because I was priming with Ffg Goex. I was out of Ffffg and Fffg. I have since bought some Fffg powder. I hope to try it out again this coming weekend.

Latest posts

Back