• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Might change my mind about .40 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone knife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Now I'm thinking about getting my TVM Tennessee rifle in .45 instead of .40 so I can hunt deer with it, will a .45 be as accurate for say squirrels if I do my part.

Should be equally accurate with the .45 having a greater choice of of loading components.

Sir
.45 will be as accurate,might hold in the wind a tiny bit better,will be legal for deer and will likely be a tiny bit lighter with the bigger hole in the barrel. My new TVM [when i finally get it back] is a .45.
Macon

Absolutely...for the longest time my smallest caliber was a .45, and I found that using throttled back powder charges of 25-30grns Goex 3F, it was just the proverbial tack driver at typical small game distances...so if you're trying to decide between one or the other right now with deer in the equation, I'd agree the .45 would be more versatile...

My next rifle will also be in .45 and I have no qualms taking it out squirrel hunting when it arrives.

My first flinter back in the 70s was a .45, killed plenty of squirrels with her using 40grs FFF Goex and head shots...I also killed my first wild turkey with her using 50grs and a wingbone turkey call I made from our Thanksgiving turkey...My deer load was 75grs...

Course, then I wanted a larger rifle for bears so I built a .54 and rebarreled the .45 to a .40...

Might want to go ahead and start with a .54 as it's a good squirrel rifle as well with head shots... :)

You'll end up with a .40 sooner or later anyway...

While my nephew and his youngest boy both shoot 40's , I use my 45's for almost everything up to and including deer! :idunno: :idunno:

Looking at it from the stand point of per cent increase in mass, from .40 caliber to .45 is huge, a really big difference.
After scratching my head a long time about little game / big game I'm about ready to try a long 1/2" smooth rifle.

I liked the .40 for Deer under 50 yds but if not legal the .45 is a very good Deer /small game choice as well, I think one still need to consider limiting the range on Deer to 75yds or so, I have always seen shooting to far was the usuall reason I was looking for someones Deer the next day no matter the bore size, not being able to judge distance acurately or not being able to hold ones water when the big one walks by at 125 yds will often not end well no matter the size of the ball

My .45 flinter will shoot one ragged hole at 50 yards with 70 grains of FFFg Goex. In the Wildlife Management Areas around here, small game muzzleloading rifles must be .40 caliber or smaller. Large game must be .40 caliber or larger. So, if you could have only one rifle, it would have to be a .40. Personally, I like my .45 better :thumbsup:

tg said:
I liked the .40 for Deer under 50 yds but if not legal the .45 is a very good Deer /small game choice as well, I think one still need to consider limiting the range on Deer to 75yds or so, I have always seen shooting to far was the usuall reason I was looking for someones Deer the next day no matter the bore size, not being able to judge distance acurately or not being able to hold ones water when the big one walks by at 125 yds will often not end well no matter the size of the ball
I shoot trad archery equipment while hunting so I know all about waiting for the right shot opportunity. I sent Toni an email letting her know I want the .45, I'm still a couple months away from build so I hope this won't delay my arrival time.

Both cals. are HARD on squirrels unless going for head shots. If deer is the main use of your gun than go with the .45 just for the extra ball weight. I have a .40 and it works but the .45 will give you a little edge for deer. Dan.

Talked to Matt this morning a .45 it is and the completion date has not changed, when ever that is :(

Back