• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mike Brooks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Mike I was going to Private topic you but though this might be a good dicussion.
You run very long barrels is this because you only shoot cylinder bore?
Do you jug choke at all?
If not is it primarly for H.C. reasons or do you feel that you lose accuracy with a choke.
:hmm:

He can answer for himself on that Gman but I can tell ya hes putting together a Turkey blaster for me with a 41" barrel. I asked him if he knew anyone who could jug choke it for me and as it turned out theres a gentleman down the road a piece from him who choked my barrel. :thumbsup:

Choked two for me as well to equal about an improved modified. One I did not get to shoot but my son's shoots lights out with shot or ball.

Greenmtnboy said:
Hey Mike I was going to Private topic you but though this might be a good dicussion.
You run very long barrels is this because you only shoot cylinder bore?
Do you jug choke at all?
If not is it primarly for H.C. reasons or do you feel that you lose accuracy with a choke.
:hmm:
Jug always improves patterns. I have had many customers tell me there juged barrels also shoot ball well.
I have also found that long barrels (38"+) shoot better paterns than shorter barrels (-38"). So far, and this ain't scientific, the longer the barrel the tighter the pattern, especially in the smaller bores.(20 ga and under) I havn't had a chance to test all the variables such as how differnt bore sizes react to differnt lengths, but this is just something I have noticed having played around with smoothbores for 30+ years. I have been able to shoot guns with barrels as long as 60". Some of the smaller bores with good length shot surprisingly good patterns...Maybe that's why we see so many long barreled fowling guns in Grinslades book. I don't suppose they went through all that hassel of making long barrels just because they thought it looked cool.... :wink:

Thanks Mike,
Next winter I am building a 42 inch trade gun in 58 cal and will not choke it to see is R.B. accuracy improves.
Hey MikeIYHO who make the best barrels nowadays.

I buy what I can get, they are all about the same....the big name makers anyway. If I had a choice I'd only use Getz barrels but I haven't been able to buy one of those in 5 years.

Mike Brooks said:

I buy what I can get, they are all about the same....the big name makers anyway. If I had a choice I'd only use Getz barrels but I haven't been able to buy one of those in 5 years.

Thanks Mike,
I have a sharron on my new Tulle and it has a open spot in the barrel right at the powder ball area :cursing: so it's not as accurate as I would like.

I've been using Charles Burton's barrels here lately.. I am liking them more and more. :v I know Homesteader is have good success with his .69 smoothie that I built. :v I used alot of Rayl's barrels too.. :thumbsup:

Matchlock72 said:
Just wondering Is Jug chocking HC?
I know from the writings of V.M.Starr that jug choking was used by him in what seems to have been the middle of the first half of the 20th century, so it's that historically correct anyway. As to whether it was in common use before that time I have not seen in anything I have read. :idunno: ADDITIONAL: Since writing this post, I have become aware that Greener in his book "The Gun and its Development" described jug choking and provided a diagram of it. He first published this book in 1881 and it was revised several times up until 1910. So jug choking must be at least 100 years old.

Matchlock72 said:
Just wondering Is Jug chocking HC?

Hc to the 18th century? No
Hc to the flintlock era? No

Many of the the fowling pieces proper did use a different configuration than the cylinder bore we use now. Often times the bores were relieved at the muzzle (coned inside for approx 1 1/2") and sometimes in the breech (or roughened) to improve their patterns. This was NOT a choke though.
They used the cylinder bore in muskets, fuzees and other smoothe guns that were mainly intended for shooting ball.

Jugging was invented in the 1870's in the illinois river valley. can'tremember the name of the guy that figured it out.....

Ok Its not HC, but it cant be detected unless there is a close visual inspection. So the gun would Look right, even if it was tectonically not.

"Tectonically"? Sorry man, couldn't resist it.

So, jug choking. It seems to me that there would be different types of jugging. Longer or shorter runnels with different recovery angles? Am I correct, and if so, has anyone computed the best length/angle for various gauges/bbl length?

There are several things sbout some guns that are not PC/HC under close scrutiny and most let them pass because some are almost necessary ( steel barrels to make a ML affordable) when one gets to a situation of having a sticky wicket is when these things give a deffinite advantage in performance over the originals type/method/material this is where the rub comes in with modern hign tech adjustable sights and bullets that are the result of modern ballistic R&D where thne jug choke fits in there is an individual thing I guess, I would not consider such a gun to be on equal ground from a PC/HC stand point if one can get a tighter pattern than anything in the past could achive, same for bullets, if one is using gear that offers modern centerfire performance it does not seem that the PC/HC tag applies, traditional is even a little iffy, again it all depends on the level of dedication to duplicating the experience that was had in the past, and justification for ethical kills really does not apply as getting closer solves that dilema.It is a matter of choice it would just be nice and benificial to those looking for the truth if the terms were shown more respect and given more realistic values at times.There is always a faction that loves to toss the terms around yet does not really care enough about history to stay grounded in their meaning, puzzling to say the least.

What tg said. Jug choking "artificially" extends the range of a flintlock smoothbore. It makes a 25 yd turkey gun a 40+ yard gun and is a purely "modern" advantage. That's OK and perfectly legal if that is what you want, but don't kid yourself that you are hunting the "old fashioned way."

Of course if it was up to me I would hunt spring gobblers with a .36 flintlock or my .45 percussion Vincent--that would certainly be "HC," but it would not be legal in PA or IA. :idunno:

Choking a flintlock smoothbore is like putting a Leupold scope on a flintlock long rifle. The addition of a modern optical sight "artificially" doubles the rifle's range. It would be legal in most places, but sure wouldn't be hunting with a flintlock the "old fashioned way." JMO

I don't understand for the life of me why something that can't even be seen by anyone else should bother anyone. I may gain another ten yards by jug choking, BIG DEAL! The advantage is far from your Leopold scope.

Hi Swampy,
One of the real problems with e-mails and forums like this is that it is hard to convey the inflection of someone's voice in writing. It is just not like speaking face to face or over the phone. I think that is why we sometimes take undue offence at some posts. That happens to me quite a bit and if I don't catch myself before writing a response, I usually end up apologizing later. I don't think "CGG" meant any offence and he is correct about jugging being a more modern adjustment. He just wanted to give his opinion, which has merit if someone wants to be strictly HC, but I don't think he was trying to tell others what to do.

dave

Latest posts

Back