• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military guns afield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zip

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Do military muzzleloaders make good hunting guns? How many of you guys carry the old/replica Enfields, Zouaves, Springfields, etc. as your big game hunting guns? What do/don't you like about them over the full and half-stock longguns? Weight, accuracy, dependablity, what? :idunno:

Bess of various patterns do fine out to 60 yards on whitetail.

Currently I use a "military style" flintlock rifle - as rifle units of the Revolutionary War carried their private purchase rifles.

Length of stock has no bearing. Length of barrel is something you get used to. A 44" barrelled rifle with a swamped barrel and stock that fits you handles better than a straight 28" barrel in a stock that doesn't.

The big question for me is whether the sights meet my own hunting needs. Some I've handled had pretty course sights for my tastes. Fine for hitting a man somewhere, but I'm not skilled enough to use them for precision work on deer. More practice, I know. But I have other guns that pull me away from the military models I've handled so far.

My fine US M1841 "Mississippi" rifle is heavy and a bit "clubbish" as are most military guns but it is extremely accurate. A few years ago I took a large doe with it. A lightning bolt type hit.

Well, I'm hoping to pick up a .58 Zouave or Enfield Musketoon in the future. I handled a used Zouave in a local gun store and found the fit even better than my .50 TC Hawken. I have never gone elk hunting but hope to before my bones get too old and rickety for the mountains. I still appreciate the fine, slim lines of a full-stocked longrifle but have become interested in the military blackpowder guns as well.

Watchm', they tend to shoot high on battle sights.

On my two Enfields I had to mod the sights and the stock on my musketoon.

enfield002.jpg

Brits.

Brits....never get enough of those pictures of your gun dog ,gun and game .
CHEERS

DSC02291.jpg

this ones a 12 bore commitee of saftey musket .I like it for hunting ....Deer don't much care for it...
DSC03387.jpg

Nice pics everyone. Britsmoothy, I thought you were shooting a musketoon. That 2-bander looks great as well. Hawk 2 those are nice pieces.

Zip said:
Nice pics everyone. Britsmoothy, I thought you were shooting a musketoon. That 2-bander looks great as well. Hawk 2 those are nice pieces.

Well I sold the two bander when the musketoon came along. It shoots just as well except for shot. The musketoon is lighter.

Well spotted :thumbsup:

Brits.

Back