• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Min smoothie gauge for turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since she suffers from ability to handle WEIGHT (and recoil) why not get a camo'd up shooting tripod so the weight is off the shooter. Just gotta practice slow movement to keep the barrel pointed in the right direction (which of course is unknown until Mr Eagle eye is struttin in). That would work. As for the recoil, she will not notice.

I was thinking about this last night. Like azmtnman stated there are some shooting tripods that hold the firearm. I believe Caldwell makes one.

Wish your missus the best of luck from all of us!!

Brokennock said:
So, just so I'm clear, where you are hunting a shot load from a .410 is legal for turkey, but a single, patched .400 roundball is not. If "legal" isn't part of the equation (as your original post suggests) then a roundball to the head sounds like your best bet. Someday I hope to live someplace where I can legally hunt turkeys with patched roundball.

Brokennock:

Well, been busy for a couple weeks. But...I just looked at the MDC rules for turkey in MO and unless you are hunting in deer season for them...no specifics found! Guess I need to go to my local gun shop and get the facts.

Yeah, small caliber round ball would be great. There is an exemption for hunting on your own land.

Thank you

jrmflintlock said:
I was thinking about this last night. Like azmtnman stated there are some shooting tripods that hold the firearm. I believe Caldwell makes one.

Wish your missus the best of luck from all of us!!

Well, will consider this. Still think that I am going to have to get her [ great excuse for a new gun, eh? ] a lighter gun. Mine has a 1 1/4" full round barrel. Weighs a bunch.

salkehatchie said:
Brokennock said:
So, just so I'm clear, where you are hunting a shot load from a .410 is legal for turkey, but a single, patched .400 roundball is not. If "legal" isn't part of the equation (as your original post suggests) then a roundball to the head sounds like your best bet. Someday I hope to live someplace where I can legally hunt turkeys with patched roundball.

Brokennock:

Well, been busy for a couple weeks. But...I just looked at the MDC rules for turkey in MO and unless you are hunting in deer season for them...no specifics found! Guess I need to go to my local gun shop and get the facts.

Yeah, small caliber round ball would be great. There is an exemption for hunting on your own land.

Thank you

Well, just checked the MO Dept Cons turkey hunting regulations. The regs mention allowed weapons and only shotguns with shot no larger than # 4 were listed. Outside of bows, atals and such. So, no RB.

Been a long time, but from what I remembered MO does not allow "rifles". I have owned farm land and in regular firearms deer season we would wear orange out to the barn to water the animals it was that bad! "Mom" is a very patient hunter so smaller bore shotgun should work fine.

So me thinks the MDC does not want rifles out on public land with bunches of nearby hunters in camo :nono:

Back