• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mineral Oil, Carnuba, and Bees Wax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking that combination might be good for my Shooting bag as a leather conditioner. Any thoughts on this combination?

I make a similar combination but I would omit the mineral oil. Mineral oil doesn’t solidify too well, i would use bees wax, carnuba and some plain old olive oil or even canola. With the oil being the smallest part.

I have carnauba wax flakes and it is a very hard wax. I don't know how you would combine it with the other ingrediencies successfully. I think a softer wax would be better as a leather conditioner.

I just recently made a small batch of beeswax and bears oil as a leather conditioner for my shooting bags. I got the info on how good that is from Jeff 'Poor Boy' Luke, the excellent bag maker.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Wood workers use the same mix of bees wax and mineral oil to make wood finish wax. I used ballistol, bees wax, and carnauba wax to make some stock wax. I could have used a bit less ballistol, it's a hair too thin. But it works if I use a thin coat and let dry them buff.

Here’s a recipe I found online by Scott Wolf on leatherworker.net; it works amazingly for all my leather goods and it’s packed with vitamin E which prevents rancidity. I’ve been using it for a little over a year now. Read all steps before starting.

1:1:2 (beeswax, cocoa butter, and sweet almond oil)

Step 1: Pot on the stove, low heat so it doesn’t burn. Drop entire block of cocoa butter into the pot and let melt, stirring/moving it around. After a 2-3 minutes it is all liquid.

Step 2: Add in the Beeswax and let melt until liquid. The beeswax melts slower than the coca butter so break up/ grate it before adding to the pot. Stir the whole time and monitoring the heat is important , as you might have to turn the heat up a tad to get the beeswax to melt quicker, but you want to be careful not to burn it.

Step 3: Once it was all liquid and mixed together, the pot was removed from the flame/burner. Almond oil was poured into the pot and stirred into the mix. At this point, everything is hot liquid, so you have to move fairly quick, as it will begin to set up. HAVE JARS READY

Step 4: Using a ladle and funnel to aid in filing the jars. If you use tins or another container, you may be able to pour it direct, but to reduce mess and loss, the funnel worked best. The liquid starts to cool pretty quick, so have everything prepped and on hand before you get to this stage. Once you've poured it in to all of your containers, allow it to cool and harden up.

Step 5: Clean up of pot and funnel,laddle. Do that right after finishing, as it will be semi hardened but hot tap water and some soap and it comes right off.

It’s a little expensive to gather all the ingredients but it’s well worth it, I’ve yet to find another leather conditioner that’s this effective AND completely food and skin safe

Latest posts

Back