• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mini vs round ball in brush

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember reading Paul Matthew’s book Forty Years with the 45-70, in which he has a picture of a doe that was shot where the bullet when through a 2 inch sapling. I guess if you have a big, long, heavy, non-expanding bullet going fast enough and you make sure you hit the obstruction dead center you can make it work. :doh:

Brush bucking projectiles have been a camp fire discussion since gun powder was invented. It has pretty well been proven that it's a myth. I would go with the most accurate load and keep the ranges reasonable. My self I try to find a reasonably heavy load that shoots well to keep the line of flight as flat as possible! But that's me!

Geo. T.

EXACTLY.

Fwiw, Springfield Armory's staff between the SA War & WWI did numerous experiments with "projectile weight, caliber and shape" & found that ALL projectiles are "diverted from their intended path, equally", regardless of other variables.
(P.O. Ackley, before WWII, found the same thing to be true about "the myth of bush-bucking" of bullets was precisely that. Even the 75MM main-gun of a Sherman Tank was "diverted". - There isn't any "bush-busting bullet".)

See Chapter 14 of BIG BORE RIFLES & CARTRIDGES, published by Wolfe Publishing, Inc., 1991 for more data on this subject.

yours, satx

Flash Pan Dan said:
I remember reading Paul Matthew’s book Forty Years with the 45-70, in which he has a picture of a doe that was shot where the bullet when through a 2 inch sapling. I guess if you have a big, long, heavy, non-expanding bullet going fast enough and you make sure you hit the obstruction dead center you can make it work. :doh:

How far from the 2" sapling was the deer. I shot at a deer a guy wounded with a 22-6mm and the bullet, 400 gr FP from a 44-90 hit a limb bullet was tumbling end over end when it somehow struck the buck. It hit him about where I planned (shear luck), he was moving and it was a low angle shot but the bullet, spinning like a saw blade cut off most of the ribs on one side. But shooting where the bullet might hit ANYTHING before striking the animal is a BAD idea. Proven in many tests. I have never had a BPCR bullet tumble IN the animal otherwise.
I know a story about a well know gun writer shooting at an Antelope. Bullet struck the ground many yards short, bullet skipped and struck the Antelope in the head. So if you have read of a certain gun writer shooting an Antelope in MT with a Sharps and hitting it in the head... We now you know the rest of the story. But its not the recommended way to shoot antelope.
Dan

paulab said:
Mike V. ???? :haha:

Nope. Nor SPG or me.
Wasn't Toby or Sam either.

I was not there but saw the article which IIRC was not a complete account and being a small community word gets around at to why the critter had loose horns.

Dan

I swear...how many times have you been working on a 50XXXXX and be doing everything right and have that last shot become a daggummed 6, I think its possible for a yallerjacket or some other critter to have gotten in the way of the ball and just like an incoming asteroid all you gotta do is give it a little nudge from aways off and it'll miss by a mile. Its them little gusts of wind up close that do more damage to the flight of the ball than the wind down at the terminal end. Too many people pay too much attention to that wind sock down at the target line and less attention to the wind sock they should have about 20 feet in front of the muzzle.

Back