• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minie bullets in.58 cal Green Mountain Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottonmouth

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Need some expert advice with shooting 530 grain Minie bullets in my .58 cal Green Mountain barrel with a 1 to 70 inch twist. This barrel is 32 inches long. I would like to see how Minie bullets would shoot in this barrel! But before I go out and buy some Minie bullets would like to see if any of the members have had any experience with this type of barrel and caliber using these type of conical bullets. Trying to come up with a good hunting load for some pretty good size feral hogs!
So any information or advice would be appreciated!

That twist rate would be fine with hollow base mini's, just like the originals that fired minis. But in a bud's experience there's a catch. The rifling is awfully deep compared to originals, so your load is a little more critical- hot enough to expand the skirt and seal at the rifling, but not so hot you blow the skirt.

My bud's solution was to use Triple Seven 3f- 45 grains as I recall- which he felt gave a more "punchy" ignition (his words). He also filled the base with lube. Worked for him and worked well. But he said dropping to 40 grains or going over 50 of the same powder blew accuracy to pieces.

I would use a round ball. A .58 cal. round ball will easily stop a hog. You end up with a .58cal. hole with either projectile. If you have to have a bullet, look for a Lee REAL mold. No hollow base, and it should fit tighter than a minie.

This is the 575494 cast with the 577611 plug.
You can swap out the plugs on some of the older Lyman molds.

Recently picked up a 575602 cheap with no plug. The various other Lyman base plugs fit the blocks so it will make some humdingers to try out. The 575602 has a long bullet to barrel alignment length and may need a faster twist compared to the badminton birdie military designs.

They really shouldn't work....BUT...., with some tweaking they might work well indeed. The Pedersoli 3-Band Enfield is a 1:78 twist, and shoots CW style minies, but I think the rifling is different as mentioned in previous posts. So the only true answer will be what happens when you try it out.

LD

Thanks a bunch guys!
I have just come across some of the Minie`s dropped from a Lyman 577611 Mould, so will try these out and really like those thick skirts! As Duane mentioned, I will try to find some of the Hornady Great Plains bullets and also try them!
Those Hornady Great Plains in the .58 Cal are hard to find! :idunno:

When shooting mini's out of rifles with deep grooves I use a leather wad with a 1/4 inch hole in the center over the powder. This helps to seal the deeper grooves and give better expansion. If you have high pressure gas on both sides of the skirt it will not expand as well. :idunno:

I have two 58's I shoot minie's out of, but both have shallow rifling and are designed to shoot them. If I had a barrel like yours I'd try for a solid base conical, the REAL conical by Lee comes to mind, but be sure you use a felt OP wad.
Anything is possible, they might shoot like a house afire, but that's not what I've heard about minie's and deep rifling.
Et

Latest posts

Back