• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minimum caliber for deer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In response to Spikebuck, I plan to use patched round ball.

In response to 54ball, I have a piece of maple that I plan to use for a pair of smoothbore 20 gauge pistols. Something small like that would be an ideal first project I think. As for the long rifle, for my first build I'm probably going to forgo a lot of the metal work like the patch box, nose piece etc. I want to focus on getting the woodwork done well. So my plan for my first rifle is not necessarily to build something pretty, but something that fits together properly and is comfortable for me to shoot.

From what I have gathered online and talking to people 45 would be minimal. Its not ballistically impressive. Many vouch for the 40 but alot of others swear that bone stops the 40 cal ball on deer. Other say the 45 is enough for deer but up to a certain range before it does not leave a blood trail. Also bear in mind that there are regulations involved. Back home in Louisiana, 44 cal is minimum for big game, here in Fl, its 40. Do it legally, but most of all do it ethically. If you are a great shot with the 45 cal use it. But larger cals like 50,54 leave out margin of error.

flehto said:
To lessen bbl weight, why not go to a larger caliber...like a .50 or .54? Some fairly light bbls can be had in these calibers......Fred

i agree 100% with fred LARGER cal!....FYI, JDkerksetter has a swivel flinter set already for the wood and finishing.....it is a wonderful set...held her in my hands and dreamed... i want to get it, but i'm not ready for it just yet.......i need more practice.... :surrender:

I think 45 caliber is the minimum I want to use for deer hunting. I'll also add, larger calibers work even better. My 40 will spend it's time on the target range or small game hunting.

Back