• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Miroku 1766 Charleville having Hammer/Frizzen Problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grease the frizzen spring where the frizzen contacts it with gun grease and put a drop or two of oil in the screw the frizzen rotates on.

.... And are you sure the frizzen is not opening, or could it be rebounding?
That's a great question and worth pursuing as another troubleshooting step because I know the frizzen spring itself on my Charleville is a little, shall we say, undersprung? (ie the tension it exerts on the frizzen is less than it should be).

How close is the flint to the frizzen when the lock is at half cock? A photograph may help. And are you sure the frizzen is not opening, or could it be rebounding?
Here
IMG_0908.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0.mp4
    1.1 MB
On a bridled pan, maybe the frizzen foot is too tight in there. Or the screw is too tight?

I don't think that cock is going forward as far as it's supposed to. Note the difference in angle at the end of the firing stroke:
IMG_0111.JPG

Could you also post pics of the cock at half and full cock?

The screw that holds the frizzen to the lock plate. What I call the “ foot” is the piece that the screw goes through to let it pivot.

I don't think that cock is going forward as far as it's supposed to. Note the difference in angle at the end of the firing stroke:

Could you also post pics of the cock at half and full cock?
IMG_0908.jpeg

IMG_0909.jpeg

OK, I can see now it's the frizzen itself that's impeding the cock from going full forward. Grease the frizzen spring surface under the frizzen shoe, torque out that screw an eighth of a turn, and put a drop of oil in there. Make sure the frizzen moves freely without excess friction. I bet that solves your problem.

Latest posts

Back