• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Miroku Hawken 50 value?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Browning BSS 20 ga that was made by Miroku. It is a very nice gun. I have seen others that were also very nice.
The winchester rifles made by them were also very nicely made guns.
I would expect no less of a muzzleloader made by them.

Allow me to provide a little history. Some years back... Browning began offering newly manufactured copies of a number of iconic firearms to provide shooters with guns they could enjoy since the originals had mostly become "collector items" and were commanding overly high values. They offered several copies of classic Winchester rifles for example. It's been my observation over the years that those copies have been well received and are high quality firearms. They were manufactured by Miroku, in Japan.
All that said...it's still possible to pay too much for one of those Browning/Miroku guns and some folks have. I've seen prices for the Browning/Miroku Winchester model 71 that were as high as you had to pay for an original Winchester at that time. IMHO....Browning/Miroku "Hawken" style rifles are good quality firearms but I'd jump on a nice T/C for 300.00 before I'd even consider one of those at 800.00.

If it was marked as Johnathan Browning you might want to take another look.. Browning did offer a 50 cal Hawkin..

It has "MFG FOR ULTRA-HI MIROKU JAPAN 0694" stamped on one side of the barrel ".50 CAL BLACK POWDER ONLY" on the other side. No Browning markings on it.

I've never seen a Miroku ML, but $800.00 is just plain over-priced. A T/C Hawken for $300.00 is a very good price in today's market unless there is something seriously wrong with the gun. I'd be somewhat interested in a Miroku, but not anywhere near $800.00.

Browning did market a muzzleloader... i've got one. Dunno who actually made it for Browning, but so far as I am aware, Browning never actually made anything. They present designs and have the guns made or sometimes they license the design to someone else, but they own no manufacturing facilities that I am aware of.

Miroku has always made good guns, which is why Browning contracted with them for manufacturing. That said, watch out for rust in any Miroku manufactured gun, whoever's name is on it. Older Browning Citori shotguns without the chrome lining are routinely badly rusted... and those are smokeless powder guns.

I've never seen a Miroku ML, but $800.00 is just plain over-priced. A T/C Hawken for $300.00 is a very good price in today's market unless there is something seriously wrong with the gun. I'd be somewhat interested in a Miroku, but not anywhere near $800.00.

Browning did market a muzzleloader... i've got one. Dunno who actually made it for Browning, but so far as I am aware, Browning never actually made anything. They present designs and have the guns made or sometimes they license the design to someone else, but they own no manufacturing facilities that I am aware of.

Miroku has always made good guns, which is why Browning contracted with them for manufacturing. That said, watch out for rust in any Miroku manufactured gun, whoever's name is on it. Older Browning Citori shotguns without the chrome lining are routinely badly rusted... and those are smokeless powder guns.
My miroku Kentucky .45 was $150 about a year ago at a local auction. Nice and clean ,no rust. I have always liked the Browning ML and all Browning guns really. I think the TC hawken for $300 was a good choice too. FBC

Back