• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Misfires?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murf425

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I built a GPR a few months back, and have taken it to the range three times since then. The first time it worked perfectly. The other two times, though, I've loaded it up for the first shot, capped it, pulled the trigger...and the cap fires without setting off the charge. I recap, try again...same thing. I end up taking the nipple out, pouring some powder underneath it, replacing the nipple...and it fires perfectly. Ever subsequent shot works just like it's supposed to.

So, what is going on? Is it normal to have to put powder under the nipple? Is there some cleaning step I'm missing? Is my nipple no good? Etc?

No expert, but sounds like something in the barrel is not allowing spark to get through. Do you fire a couple of caps on an empty barrel before loading for the first time after cleaning?

Ditto-make sure you run a dry patch down the barrel to get excess oil out and fire a couple caps off to blow oil out of the nipple/fire channel.

Assuming that you are using the factory nipple, start with a cheap and easy solution. Get an after-market "hot-shot" type nipple and see if that helps. At least with a new nipple, you will have eliminated one source of the problem.

Sounds like some previous posts have hit it. Remember, when you start out the barrel is "clean" - - but it is not "dry" (not good for black powder). :hmm: So the necessary first step when loading for the first shot is to clean and dry out the barrel, then pop a couple of caps to blow out the firing channel, doesn't hurt to wipe again since you may have blowen some oil up into the barrel, then you shold be good to go. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps, see ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

In my experience and that of friends, popping a cap before first loading is a great antidote to misfires with any brand of capper. I just put the muzzle down near a blade of grass or something to make sure I get a puff of air when I pop the cap.

And yeah, dump the Lyman nipple. It doesn't appear to be a problem with Remington caps, but CCI's are very slightly different in size. They don't seat quite all the way down without lots of extra pressure once the nipple is a little fouled. You'll eventually start getting misfires from it, but from failure of the cap to fire the first time the hammer drops on it. Swap out the nipple or switch to Remington caps and all is well.

Along with the previous advice, you might try tossing a splash of 91% rubbing alcohol down the bore to remove any oil that might have settled into the breech and/or flash channel. The oil will mix with black powder and turn into goo that will block the flash of the cap. I always do this to de-oil the barrel then pop a few caps. I've never had a misfire.

Folks using alcohol in their bores before firing need to keep in mind that you have to wait until it all evaporates before loading the first powder load.

Even alcohol will wet black powder and in that condition it will not fire.

Another basic move not mentioned that I always do,,once I pour the powder charge, I lift the rifle in one hand and gently "rap" on the side of the gun near the breech. This helps wiggle a bit of the powder down into the fire channel. It's just an easy simple habit to develop.

I put my guns away lightly lubed with WD40, and have never found the need to swab with alcohol before target shooting. I just pop one cap to clear it, and load.If I load at home for hunting, I do swab and run a pipe cleaner through the nipple before loading. One habit I got into years ago is...Making sure the hammer is not on the nipple as I pour the powder down the barrel, and lightly tapping the side of the rifle after pouring the powder down. :v
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

Thomas Jefferson

Store the gun, muzzle down on a rag. The excess oil will drain out of the muzzle instead of congealing in the breech.

God bless

Due to the nature of a percussion cap and the fact that the nipple is hollow, the nipple is prone to get bits of percussion material from the top and powder fouling from the bottom. The nipple needs to be removed and picked from time to time.

Latest posts

Back