• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ml rifle turkey hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We can't hunt them with a rifle here, but If we could...... I wouldn't be afraid to hunt them with any accurate load out of your favorite deer rifle. Myself, I would probably aim for where the neck meets the body, I'd think anything from a stout .36 on up would do fine. They can be a tough critter if not hit right. It won't be long, someone with real experience will fill you in, I'm sure. This board is the right place for answers.

.36 Tennessee flintlock - .360 ball for this H & H barrel, .018 wonder-lubed pillow ticking, 40 grains 3f Goex. Hope to get a gobbler with this rifle in March :thumbsup:

What Goose said: "would if I could."

Though for the last five years or so the turkeys I have killed were with seamless tubing - two foot of it handheld and swung hard (we raise Narragansetts).

HPIM0601a.jpg

Tame, spoiled Narragansetts. :shake:

HPIM2692.jpg

We also can't hunt them with a ML rifle in Ohio. If we could I have a .32 DGW Tennessee squirrel rifle that I'd use.

Last year the state took our rifles away during turkey season, On public land anyway.
But thats OK with me, Gives me a reason to get a smooth bore!
But honey, I NEED one! :wink:

No "rifles" allowed for turkey in NC...shotguns/smoothbores only. BUT...there's no restriction on the size or amount of projectiles in a smoothbore.

I Emailed the NC-WRC and specifically asked for clarification, and laminated their Email reply...have copies at the house, truck, and my vest. This coming spring I will be trying for one with my new .54cal smoothbore and a .520" PRB...very accurate to the 50yds its zeroed.

Wisconsin law..no shot larger than #4'S..cannot possess a single projectile..
Called my warden friend to clarify..
Would love to use my 36 cal..denied!
Send a report that's as close as I can get here!

Rifles are allowed here in WV and have used my .40 as well as .50 Have used as little as 25grs of 3F in the .40 because I was after a squirrel when the turkeys showed up. Put one thru the wing butt and turned out the lights! Dan.

Here in Pa. I believe that one may use a rifle in the fall but for spring gobbler it's shotgun /smooth bore only with shot size restrictions.

Vern

I was able to take a 15 pound tom with Pedersoli's little .40 caliber flintlock using 40 grains of 3f. I hit him where the neck joins the body. The distance was about 20 yards. My sister and I waited for ten hours for them to show up, and when they did they looked like painted Indians coming over a hill. A couple of weeks before I got a coyote in the same area with the same gun and load.

I wanted to second that about muzzle loading rifle for Florida turkey- too bad. Traditionally, muzzle loading rifles were used for turkeys, especially in the south. I think Florida ought to reverse that decision. The prior situation was that a muzzle loader could be used in Muzzle loading season, general gun season, small game season, and spring turkey.

A .54cal PRB through the neck at 60yds does a fine job on gobblers! :thumbsup:

IMHO, all states should allow traditional iron sighted muzzleloading rifles for turkeys.

Those are some really handsome Narragansetts Stumpy. As they are a pre-Domestic White heirloom breed, do they have the relatively small breast like the wild birds do? How are they on the table -- assuming they have been well-clubbed, scrubbed and cooked that is?

:rotf:

What was Florida's reasoning for that?

I would love to hunt turkeys with a rifle.

arw22lr said:
What was Florida's reasoning for that?

I would love to hunt turkeys with a rifle.
:idunno: Safety I guess. I will have to check the reg's But I believe you can still use them on private property if I am not mistaken.
Way too many people on public land.

Back