• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MLF Member Game Photos of Successful Hunts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundball said:
Good ones...and I like that slab of tree that the moose rack is mounted on...fits the outdoors/hunting theme

that slab of wood was a walunt my Pa cut, I have a couple stock blanks cut from that tree and a deer mount on a piece too,One of the last efforts my Pa made was to mount them horns, he passed from cancer shortly after .

here it is RB

DSC04550.jpg

Man, that makes it special for sure...wonder if it would be worth considering having a thin brass sheet engraved with a few sentences like that about your Dad, you, the dates, etc...otherwise, one day in the future it might be found and used in somebody's fireplace without anyone knowing what they just burned up
:hmm:

There are more critters than shown here, but some are just kind of important to me anyhow.
Here is my daughter's first deer with what is now her Lyman GPR 50 perc.
Suzesdeer2005.jpg
[/img] Then when my son in-law came home from Irag, he took his first deer with what is now his CVA 50 Mountain perc.
100_0713.jpg
This is my first deer with a Ml'er. with my Beck 50 flint.
2004Mlerdeer1.jpg
The same Beck 50 flint with my last deer.
12-19-09all6pts.jpg
Of course there is my love of hunting with Ml'ing shotguns. These pictures are all with original shotguns, that I refurbished back into being able to use. Here is my first day dove hunting with an old refurbished 12ga. SxS perc.
WmMooredovesovertop.jpg
This 20ga. SxS flinter had been converted to perc. but I reconverted it back to flint and this is it's first day in the field.
dovehunt9-04davesmuzzleloader.jpg
I sold the previous 20ga.SxS flinter, when I found this 20ga. SxS flinter and reconverted it back to flint from flint. It was a slow year for doves here last year, but this is the first dove it took.
201018gasxsdove.jpg
This turkey was taken with my favorite perc. SxS shotgun. An old 14ga. original, that I redid to hunting use. None of my shotguns are choked, all are cylinder bored.
2009Birda.jpg
I never took pictures of the groundhogs and squirrels that I have taken with the small bore rifles.

"wonder if it would be worth considering having a thin brass sheet engraved with a few sentences like that about your Dad, you, the dates, etc...otherwise, one day in the future it might be found and used in somebody's fireplace without anyone knowing what they just burned up"

RB that's a great idea but,my Pa was man who didn't want to leave too many footprints on this earth,he may have seen it a a boast (the brass plate),most likely why it's plain and simple ,he felt the critters deserved all the credit all he did was want to eat.
I think we'll keep the story an oral tradition ...there's plenty of kin that would love to have them old horn on the wall ,so they could tell the story of that humble man

CHEERS!

On the board on back of all of my mounts, I have written on the board everything about the hunt, the equipment and the type of day it was. Of course none of this would be seen, unless it is taken down to read. This started when at our gun club, there is one truly nice mounted buck on the wall and no one knows anything about it. It is a shame that the hunter and the deer's story have been lost to time. It would be a credit to both, to know who, when and where this took place. JMHO

roundball said:
Bottom line, if you're a muzzleloader hunter you've got photos, so post'em up...let's fill the void until the fall.

Dug out some other photos, these taken with T/C Hawken Flintlocks and GM barrels:

.54cal GM SMOOTHBORE BARREL ”“ 8 POINTER

1117058Point.jpg

.62cal GM SMOOTHBORE BARREL ”“ 8 POINTER

110606-8pointer.jpg

GM .62cal smoothbore barrel ”˜RIFLED’ by Ed Rayl ”“ 8 POINTER

1113088pointerRifled62calPRBcropped.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't been hunting with flintlocks very long.....was just walking through the woods one day and the thought hit me.."Wonder what it would be like to hunt like the old Long Hunters did, using flintlocks." That was enough to get me into turkey hunting with one.

I figured I could pick one up pretty cheap since there was not much to them...was badly mistaken. After findling out how much they would cost and how long I would have to wait on a build I decided to just build my own. When I got the lock I didn't even know how to cock it. Never shot a flintlock before. Anyway here's a few pics. of stuff I didn't miss with the guns I built and I have missed some very big bucks....my only shot last yr. I missed on a trophy size buck.

Started out with a factory T/C 12ga. sidelock...first gobbler I killed with black powder gun. I knew after I killed this bird that the plastic stocked gun wasn't what I wanted and then built my own. Killed the Osceola in Greenswamp public land in Fl...

Click on the thumbnails for full size pictures.

Greenswamp gobbler with my first flintlock and first build 20ga Old Virginia open cylinder

One that flopped in a mudhole...same gun same place...small jake

Another small bird same gun same place

Little sow I killed with same gun same place...shot it with #5's or 6's..can't remember...walked up on while squirrel hunting..was only a yard or two at the most in some high swamp grass. Shot it behind the ear and it never moved.

Couple of squirrels with same gun...I later put a wooden patch box and changed carving a little on this gun...same place.

First buck I killed with flintlock. Greenswamp, .58cal. Berk's Co. I built as lightweight as I could.

Killed this buck in Shawnee National Forest Southern Illinois with my .58cal.

Killed this gobbler in Shawnee using my .20ga. Gobbler Gun with Colrain Turkey Choke barrel

IMG_0301.jpg

6pt taken at 80 yds. 80g FF 50 caliber Pedersoli, this guy was crossed my path in full pursuit of a doe. Got him during the regular firearms season.

DSCF0001-1-1-1.jpg

Texas doe. 80 Yards.
T/C Hawken kit I rescued w/32 inch Green Mountain .54 1:70 barrel, .535, 90 Grains Goex 2F, felt wad, ticking patch lubed with beeswax/olive oil.

HD

first flintlock sqkwrls. I went after turkey in the morning. No luck on finding a living Tom this late in the season on public land that wanted to talk to me. Did kill my first flintlock squirrels ever. It had been a long time since I got that excited about seeing a squirrel, cant wait to go again. I am hooked.

Latest posts

Back