• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mo. opener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Ott

40 Cal.
Reaction score
We have a late season this year,not sure why? Cold this morning with flurrys and sleet,north wind slamming my face @ 20 mph.I lasted 2 hrs and left to thaw out,saw 8 does by the truck....I guess they were waitng for me to warm the truck to? :wink:

Had to go to a funeral @ 10am then home for lunch and back in the woods by 2pm. Still cold, but I dressed better.About 2:45 I see deer coming my way.5 does make their way closer but are still out of range,finally one gets into that "70 yd range and I am trying to work up the courage......Finally I tell myself that there will be a better chance and I let her walk.Just wasn't comfy with the shot today I guess.

Bout the time I let here walk I hear more coming from my left, and yearling followed by an mature doe.I let her walk straight out in front of me and stop her.Sweethearts sights looked good today, so I touched her off @ 35yds. She runs bout 40 yds up the hill and stops....Starting to have second thoughts about those sights :hmm:

Bout then her legs leave her and she is down.(No stress meat) I call it.Never new what happened.

I checked the blood trail as I went to her and found a very good one,bout as good as it gets.As I drug her out,the thought of to many clothes came to mind. :shake:

Fresh meat for Christmas eve supper! :thumbsup:

45 cal percussion,40 grains 3f, prb.Ventalated her on both sides.

decmuzzdoe.jpg

Congradulations on a nice doe. I had to work this morning and I probably won't make it out this weekend. Maybe next weekend.

Good goin' Ott! :hatsoff:

They tend to hang out around my Jeep too. :hmm:
One day last year I had just parked and left the Jeep. When I was about 75 yards away I turned around and looked back. One deer was sniffing the side and another was standing right there watching me. Any shot I took would put a hole in the Jeep so they were perfectly safe. I think they were laughing. :haha:

Enjoy that No Stress meat. :thumbsup: Always better than when they've been chased all over the county.

AttaBoy! :thumbsup: CONGRATS! :hatsoff:

yup, dressed fer sittin an dressed fer draggin be way different :idunno: but how ya know? :wink:

I reloaded after I shot her last night, and on the way home I had a real nice buck cross by my house.He just stood there lookin at me at 30 yds....I had daylight, and a loaded rifle, :nono: but I just shoooed him into the woods. :hatsoff: another day.

Got a any-deer tag left,and there are some good deer on the other farm that I hunt.Problem is right now...They are already droopin horns.We done found a 130" ten full set, and have trail cam pics of others that have shed.I've had several phone calls with guys that shot deer last week with a bow and had their horns pop off where they died. Earliest I ever heard of.

I'll probly shoot another doe when time permits.Got alot of non hunting families that are wanting meat.

:thumbsup: Congrats on getten the doe :thumbsup: . I AM heading out in a bit for a afternoon hunt.
neal

i seen 3 tonight they were about 150 yards on the wrong side of the fence line they came out little before dark going to try later again this week

40 grains is all I have ever used in that gun.I have never recovered a ball from any deer I have shot with it. Makes my brother(in-line guy) pull his hair out. :rotf:

From 50 cal
i seen 3 tonight they were about 150 yards on the wrong side of the fence line they came out little before dark going to try later again this week

Saw one lil ole doe tonight while walking home, she just stood there and watched me walk by her...Strange.

Good luck with the rest of the season.

decmuzzdoe.jpg
[/quote]

Congratulations, nice shot- that rifle looks like a pleasure to hunt with! 40 gr. with a 45 cal..That's something.

Well look who's here... :grin:

Congratulations Tim. Glad to see you got some fresh meat for the holiday.

And Merry Christmas Tim... :hatsoff:

Been on here a while Paul, I just don't post much.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. :wink:

Ott said:
We have a late season this year,not sure why? Cold this morning with flurrys and sleet,north wind slamming my face @ 20 mph.I lasted 2 hrs and left to thaw out,saw 8 does by the truck....I guess they were waitng for me to warm the truck to? :wink:

Had to go to a funeral @ 10am then home for lunch and back in the woods by 2pm. Still cold, but I dressed better.About 2:45 I see deer coming my way.5 does make their way closer but are still out of range,finally one gets into that "70 yd range and I am trying to work up the courage......Finally I tell myself that there will be a better chance and I let her walk.Just wasn't comfy with the shot today I guess.

Bout the time I let here walk I hear more coming from my left, and yearling followed by an mature doe.I let her walk straight out in front of me and stop her.Sweethearts sights looked good today, so I touched her off @ 35yds. She runs bout 40 yds up the hill and stops....Starting to have second thoughts about those sights :hmm:

Bout then her legs leave her and she is down.(No stress meat) I call it.Never new what happened.

I checked the blood trail as I went to her and found a very good one,bout as good as it gets.As I drug her out,the thought of to many clothes came to mind. :shake:

Fresh meat for Christmas eve supper! :thumbsup:

45 cal percussion,40 grains 3f, prb.Ventalated her on both sides.

decmuzzdoe.jpg
Congrats!!!The ball went through her with just 40 grains? That's impressive if it did.

Congrats!!!The ball went through her with just 40 grains? That's impressive if it did.

Do I hear a bit of skeptisim there Luie? :v

I stated a few post back that I have shot several deer with this load and have never recovered a ball.All pass throughs. I was skeptical at first myself,but one of my buddies swore it was enough of a charge,so I tried it.It's seems to be what this rifle likes anyhow. I am a believer.

40 grains of 3F is plenty for a .45 liue. Ever hear of the .44-40 Winchester...? :hmm:

And that sure is a pretty rifle Tim.

Back