• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mo. opener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ott said:
Congrats!!!The ball went through her with just 40 grains? That's impressive if it did.

Do I hear a bit of skeptisim there Luie? :v

I stated a few post back that I have shot several deer with this load and have never recovered a ball.All pass throughs. I was skeptical at first myself,but one of my buddies swore it was enough of a charge,so I tried it.It's seems to be what this rifle likes anyhow. I am a believer.
No that's not skeptimism. A guy told me that I didn't kill this button buck I shot at in the fall because I didn't have a big enough charge. I was using 75 grains pyrodex. Reading your story and others off this forum have influenced me to use a lighter charge of about 70 grains next year.

Well Luie, just drop your charge down to where you and your gun are comfy with it, and kill the heck outa things.... :hatsoff:

There will always be those that think just because they can't do it, then no one can :wink:

Paul,Thanks. That is actually the first gun I ever built. Still my fav to date. Although I have a 54cal that I'm changing over to flint this winter,I'm bettin that she'll make the varsity squad. :grin:

Well it's a beaut Tim. I guess you are seeing the sights OK after all... seem to remember talking about that at Mojam. :hmm:
A flint 54 sounds good. Reckon I know where you'll be getting your flints. :grin:

Congratulations...good shot, good rifle !
:hatsoff:

Betting you'll really like the Flinter too...

Thanks all, We have a big snow comin in tonight and they say a dusting to 9" ...Well I guess they are covering their arses? :hmm:

Looking foward to hunting in it on sat.

As for the flinter conversion..... I ain't got enough wood in front to put in a new lock, so with some help from a buddy of mine,I'm just gonna build me a flint lock on the cap lock frame I have now.Never done it before but Rod tells me "there ain't nuthin toit"....."Yea right" I say..."You've been building guns for 30 yrs,it's all easier for you" :bow:

Already got it started,gonna be a long winter me thinks?

Got a chance to go back to the woods today. We got about 2" snow,so there was no holding me back,even with those 30mph winds. I couldn't handle sitting for very long so I did some still hunting.walked up on a group of 5 does,but they beat me to the punch.Later found a single deer,but the snow was just to noisy for me to get into range,(or I was just to noisy) :cursing:

Anyhow it felt good to hunt in the snow, packing the long gun,searching out some meat.Got 3 days left and one tag.Maybe tomorrow evening. :hatsoff:

Back