• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mold cherries

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Any of you folks know where a person can find cherries for making ball molds ? I found what looks to be a very old bag mold in excellent condition no sprue cutter on this one, looks like pictures of originals I've seen but casts roughly a 47 cal. ball. Common sense tells me to leave it alone but I would like to open it up to .487 or something close.

Why ruin a piece of history?

Buy a reproduction or have one made in the exact size you want. Oil it up and put it on the shelf for a conversation piece with your family and friends!....JMHO

Rick

Cherries can be made in any size you want, but it's a lot of work and can take specialized tooling to make 'em.

The good new is, most of the tooling can be made without too much trouble, or so I'm told.

If you can find the book "Art of the Blacksmith" by Alex Bealer,There is a section on gunsmithing with an explanation of how cherries were made. Billy

streetsniper said:
If you can find the book "Art of the Blacksmith" by Alex Bealer,There is a section on gunsmithing with an explanation of how cherries were made. Billy

Bealer leaves a LOT out of his description of making a cherry. IMHO, there is an easier way than Bealer describes to get the cherry nearly spherical. No hand made cherry is going to be a perfect sphere, but the balls cast in home made moulds seem to shoot as well as any.

Thanks guys, I have perfectly good molds but just really like this old bugger, common sense wins I'll just keep it oild and on the mantle (OR) maybe it will be a good enough excuse for another custom rifle.

walks with gun said:
Thanks guys, I have perfectly good molds but just really like this old bugger, common sense wins I'll just keep it oild and on the mantle (OR) maybe it will be a good enough excuse for another custom rifle.

Yep, that's what I'd do - oil it up and put it on the mantle until the new piece arrived. :grin: :wink:

Good excuse for another rifle. We can never have enough of them no matter what wifey says! :blah:

Merdean

Back