• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose Hunting in Finland

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
During my month long stay in Finland in my quest to find relatives on both sides {found and met 155 and most were cousins}, stayed w/ my cousin Hannu who owns the farm that my grandmother was born on and it's 40 miles south of the Arctic Circle.

The annual kill of moose {amerikanpeura= American deer} in Finland ranges between 35,0000-55,000 per year and is a herd reduction hunt because the wolf population is non-existent. The previous year to which I stayed in Finland, had a kill of 50,000 moose.

Anyways...Hannu gets 6-10 moose licenses per year {dependent on acreage and moose population} and sells them to relatives. He also provides a "shooting tower", sleeping quarters, leisure time quarters, a kitchen and a butchering room w/ refrigeration. Also, and the most important...a sauna. The above are all next door to each other and form quite a complex.

The moose are "driven" past the " shooting tower" by dogs which are capable of "routing" out the moose from the dense evergreen thickets. The Sako, Tikka and Valmet rifles in the hands of the "hunters" then kill the moose. I know...this isn't really hunting, but this is the European style of hunting. But, is the Yellowstone herd reduction anything other than "getting some meat"?

The evenings are joyous occasions...replete w/ a plentiful supply of beer and liquor, moose on the grill and a feeling of friendship. This all is topped off w/ a stay in the sauna.

European hunting is a much more formal occasion and would be quite foreign to most "off the cuff" American hunters. In most European countries, very few are privledged to hunt.....if hunting was available to the masses, there wouldn't be any game survival.

We're so fortunate to live in the USA where whoever wnats to hunt, can hunt.....Fred

The MAIN reason for the large moose "herd reduction" is PROFIT from selling moose for meat.= Game is commonly sold all over Europe.
(Professional hunting is commonplace for moose in Northern Europe, as is hunting for seal meat/pelts.)

When I had a hunting license in BRD,(a long, long, time ago,) the hunter (except on allied forces kasernes & maneuver areas, where the allied SM/hunter got to keep the venison/pork) got the head, skin, hooves, blood & internal organs. - IF the hunter wanted any of the venison, he/she could BUY it at a "discounted price" before the meat was sold to meat markets, butcher shops & in restaurants.
(Little or no meat went to waste.- Before the collapse of the USSR, jagers/forstmeisters were routinely allowed "across the border" to stalk/trail/recover wounded game, as NOT "losing"/wasting game animals is nearly a "religion" there.)

yours, satx

That's the same way the animals were handled in Namibia/So. Africa when I hunted there in the '80s. You paid a trophy fee after killing/wounding an animal and that entitled you to the head, horns and skin. The trackers and camp help got the guts and the meat went to the nearest large town for sale at restaurants and for export to Europe.

Even though I killed a gemsbok (oryx), I had to go to a restaurant to taste the meat. Warthogs were delicious and they were used for camp meat because there wasn't a commercial market for them.

My relatives don't sell the moose meat.....they pack the larder. Moose. anyways to me, is very "beef like" and my relatives relish eating in on and off throughout the year.

Yes....wild game and fish in Europe are sold on the open market and are a source of income to the large landowners and farmers. ....Fred

ImVho, moose is BETTER than 90% of beef.

Where I was in BRD, the local state government (as well as the private landowners)
made "considerable money" for "forestry management & restoration" from the sale of game out of the local "public" forests.

ImVho, we could "learn some valuable stuff" from the European forestry managers/landowners.
(Hunters NOT "failing to trail & recover" wounded game animals & NOT wasting perfectly edible meat, for 2 things.)
In VA, where I was stationed for several years of my military career, MANY deer hunters took the head & hide & left the rest of the carcass for scavengers to eat or to rot. - I found that DISGUSTING.

yours, satx

AGREED 100%.

When I collected my II-B Hirsch in 1971, the forstmeister & I field-dressed the animal, together before transporting him to the forstampt for "registration" & photos.

"Otto" asked me what I planned to do with the heart/lungs/kidneys & other internal organs. - When I told him that I don't normally eat "organ meats", he suggested that those items go to the staff of the forstampt for cooking there.
I readily agreed & was "invited back to the forstampt for dinner" the next week for roast pork. = GOOD TRADE, imVho.

yours, satx

Back