• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathias

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello
This is a two part question what would be the smallest rondball and powder charge to realible kill a moose at 100-120 m ?
And what would the same be for a mine ?

I'm not looking for the weakest load i just want some referenser

Math

Personally, I don't think I'd drop below .54 roundball, and at less than 100 if at all possible. Charge, as powerful as you can get it, without sacrificing accuracy. My .54 patterns start to open up over 90gr.

I think a .58 would be great.

I called this moose in to a friend who nailed it with a 54 cal PRB and 100 grns of ffg Goex express at 50 yrds and got clean penitration.
The moose went maby 60 yrds before dropping it weighed around 12,000 lbs.
Pritty much anything 50 cal and above will do the trick as long as you don't hit bone and doublelung it.
:thumbsup:

moose001.jpg

Nice moose! Shiras?

On the caliber question, I wouldn't shoot any moose at 100-120m, but that's me. No need when they're basically easy to stalk in all but the most open terrain.

If it was me, I'd forego RBs and switch to conicals with a 50 cal. Just my twitch, cuzz you can certainly use 50 cal including RBs in the primitive weapon moose seasons up here.

No qualms about RBs with 54 and above, but bigger is always better for big animals in my book. With both 54s and 58s in my rack I'd reach for the 58. If I was hunting moose all the time, I'd have the perfect excuse for building a 62. Of course, right now head-mashing snowshoe hares seems like a good enough excuse for a 62! :grin:

Are you sure that moose didn't weigh 1200 pounds? instead of 12,000 pounds? Not even elephants weigh 6 tons!

Regardless, it is a fine animal, and he is to be congratulated on the kill. The advice on using the .54 RB is very good.

paulvallandigham said:
Are you sure that moose didn't weigh 1200 pounds? instead of 12,000 pounds? Not even elephants weigh 6 tons!

Trust the folks who have actually killed them. I'm figuring that one was kinda skinny if it only weight 12,000 pounds. Whack one 4 or 5 miles from your transportation, and it's more likely to weigh in pertnear 18,000 pounds.

Best idea is to pack a fork in your possibles bag, then sit down and commence to eating rather than packing. You'll probably get through faster.

I agree with you BrownBear. The first time you kill even a deer a mile from camp, you learn the wisdom of " shoot the little ones or shoot them close to camp!" I actually know hunters who pack in a skillet to a kill sight, with bacon and onions, and have a feast on the fresh liver. Personaly, I can wait until I do get the deer, and the liver back to camp, but fresh liver is as sweet as Prime rib, and as juicy, and tender. Hmmmmmm- good!-- no-- great!

I ran a deer check station back in the late 60s when I was in college, and a lot of the guys questioned our scale's accuracy because they were convinced their deer weighed twice what the scale said after dragging, and carrying it up some of those 20-story bluffs. I didn't blame them. But, in fact, this scale was at the local grain elevator in old Valmeyer, Illinois( washed away in the 1993 Mississippi Flood) and we actually tested and adjusted the scale with a 4 x 4 Sheet of plywood on top of it, to hold the deer, so that we could take accurate readings. I had more than one hunter step up on the scales and weighed him to show him that the scale was not off.

By no means by my remark did I intend any insult to the successful hunter. A 1200 lb. Moose is still a huge animal, and it appears such next to the hunter.I almost got in on a moose/bear hunt in Canada about 20 years ago, and I understand from a friend who finally did go moose hunting that when an animal is killed, 4 men will split the moose meat, and go home. The other three do not even try for another moose, because there is more meat than their families can eat over a long winter. By April, the kids are ready to kill for something OTHER than moose steaks. :thumbsup:

The really big record book boys will get close to 2,000 lbs. but The last thing I read about that was suppose to weigh 6 tons was a small T-rex dinosaur. The 3-story ones weighed 8 tons. Can you imagine trying to feed something like that in captivity?

Hi Math,

I would use 120 grs of PP or FFg bp (WANO, Goex) and a PRB. But I would try to stalk as near as possible, because 100 meters is a bit far.I know a moose is a big animal, but a RB loses pretty much nergy at 100m, and the most gets lost after about 60 meters, up to this distance the RB holds the enrgy pretty good, but then air resistance is to big.

By the way do you want to hunt in Sweden? Thought there ML hunting is forbidden.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Yep no ML hunting Sweden. But you have to knov the facts before you can look for a contry that will let you hunt whit a ML. Besides them old rifles are dam fun shoot :thumbsup:

Math

Hi Math,

are there not more hunters like you who want to hunt with ML in Sweden? If so why don't you try to convince the authorities to get permission for bp hunt. Tell them to have a look at Germany or some other european countries or even the USA.

Regards

Kirrmeister

One would whish!!

Just now things looks likes there is going to be a tax on leaded amunition so whit luck the prices are going to dubble :barf:

Math

I saw a website from Finland, and another from NOrway showing a rendezvous of buckskinners. Do they allow hunting with MLers in these two neighboring countries to Sweden, Matt? That might be an alternative if they allows non-residents to hunt, there.

Hi Paul,

the curious thing in Sweden is that they even allow hunting with bp cartridge guns.

Regards

Kirrmeister

You can apply for a permit in Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire for next year. They have already had their drawing. To be honest, it is tough in the fact that it is hard to get picked for the permit. I was lucky one year and the next year my mother got one.

I have shot two moose but with a single shot handgun rather than a muzzleloader. The thing that I have learned is that when a moose is hit they generally don't show a lot of reaction to being hit by a bullet. They sort of lumber along and then all of a sudden shudder and fall over.

If you really are enthusiastic to hunt moose with a muzzleloading rifle the best bet to me would be one of the Canadian provinces. Many of the provinces have moose tags over the counter or have a better system of getting drawn for a lottery on the tags.

Maines nonresident moose apps is a joke or at least was. After paying for a chance for 10 years straight I finally told them what they could do with their permit app. :shake:

bigbore442001 said:
The thing that I have learned is that when a moose is hit they generally don't show a lot of reaction to being hit by a bullet. They sort of lumber along and then all of a sudden shudder and fall over.

That isn't limited to muzzleloaders and handguns, by any means. I've whacked them with a couple of handgun calibers and a range of rifle calibers including 338 Win Mag and 375 H&H Mag.

The only one that dropped in its tracks was lung shot at about 60 yards with a 270 Winchester and 130 grain bullets. Looked like it had been electrocuted!

One of several I shot with a 375 H&H flinched at the 40 yard shot, then actually reached out and took another bite of willow before slowly laying down, then rolling over after a few seconds. That's the closest I've ever come to taking a second shot on a moose. I was convinced that somehow I had missed.

They die easy, but they die slow.

Back