• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll just comment that although some people believe moose hunting is easy, it is not. I know in New Hampshire the state prohibits hunting withing a quarter mile of Rte 3. You could say that these are "tourist" moose. They seem to be somewhat unaffected by people driving by and taking pictures of them. I can understand the rationale of the regulation but not all moose act that way. They aren't dumb. They have a keen sense of smell and those long legs can quickly put them out of range of your muzzleloader.

I will also state that when you shoot a moose the real work starts. :thumbsup:

Hi paulvallandigham

I know that nonresident can hunt in both Norway and Finland but i'm not sure if ML is leagel to hunt whit.

Hi kerrmeister

Yes you can use cartridges orginaly designed for BP to hunt whit but you are not alowed to use BP as propellant and here comes the funny bit you are alowed to substitute like Pyrodex and such :youcrazy:

I think the moose hunting that i'm used to differs from how you hunt in the states (just my thought tho) we are about 12 in my team and before the hunt starts we have agreed on a area and everybody knows were to sit, then the dog whit handler walks thru the area and if there is something is shot we all lend a helping hand and the meat is divided after a time of hanging. So for me to shoot an undesturbd moose is verry rare.

Math

Math said:
I think the moose hunting that i'm used to differs from how you hunt in the states (just my thought tho) we are about 12 in my team and before the hunt starts we have agreed on a area and everybody knows were to sit, then the dog whit handler walks thru the area and if there is something is shot we all lend a helping hand and the meat is divided after a time of hanging. So for me to shoot an undesturbd moose is verry rare.

Math

Everything I've read or seen on TV about your moose hunting bears that out, Math. Compared to our moose hunts, yours are more like what we would consider a "drive" used in some areas to hunt deer. It looks like your shooting is a whole lot more challenging than ours. I'm guessing that with a muzzleloader it would require passing up a lot of shots or using a lot more powerful loads probably featuring long conical bullets due to the likelihood of odd-angle shots on moving animals for the most part rather than ideal broadside shots at still animals. Very challenging! I'd almost bet that the "best" muzzleloader for me would be a double.

bigbore442001 said:
I will also state that when you shoot a moose the real work starts. :thumbsup:

Truer words were never spoken. I've shot 4 moose in my lifetime up in Canada (only one with a muzzleloader) and I can guarantee you every time I walked up and saw that bull laying on the ground my thought was: "Oh my God, what the hell have I gone and done now?" My last (and largest) had a 51" spread and it took four of us all day to pack him out to where we could get to him with the 4-wheelers. I said right then I would never shoot another one.....unless of course I get the chance to go again. :) (I'm a very slow learner)

I wouldn't go after bullwinkle with anything less than .54 roundball and 90-100 grains of Goex. I'd do my best to keep shots inside 75 yards too.

HD

It is interesting to hear how hunting differs from area to area. I know that in northern New England, dogs and driving moose are illegal. In fact, New Hampshire doesn't even allow the use of ATV's except to retrieve the animal once down.

paulvallandigham said:
Are you sure that moose didn't weigh 1200 pounds? instead of 12,000 pounds? Not even elephants weigh 6 tons!

Regardless, it is a fine animal, and he is to be congratulated on the kill. The advice on using the .54 RB is very good.

oops my bad one two many zeros
:redface:
I hunt in V.T. where that twelve hundred lb bull was shot haha and get to hunt every couple of years or so.
You can have two rifle hunters and a guide so that makes it nice if sombody in your party but your self pulles a tag.

...6 tons???... hey, I gotta tell ya, I've packed out several raccoons and after 3 to 4 miles even they feel like 12 tons :bull: ... makes me question why I hadn't gone fishing instead...... but I eventually get over it... :grin:
Bob

I shot this Canadian moose back in 1979 with a .62cal Jager rifle loaded with 200gr's of 2FF behind a .610prb. I hit him at 50yd's in the south end as he was goin north. The ball went full length of him and ended up just under the hide in his brisket.

He was 300yds from the river and we had to pack him out to our two canoes, then back up stream for 40miles to the take off point.

That was almost 30years ago....I couldn't do it today.. :shake:

buckskinner2.jpg

Here in Germany it is obligatory for every owner of a hunting area to have a hunting dog.

Most of the big game in Germany, especially wild boars and red deer is harvested at drive hunts with dogs, otherwise no chance to get enough from them to prevent forestal and agricultural damages.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Hmm, did someone say moose and dog?
Here's a proper moose dog: :grin:

//K9

Back