• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

more squirrels with the .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juancho

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It's been a great season so far for squirrels.
I bag # 14 & 15 yesterday.
Was up Sudbury area for a week for moose, but no moose was even seen.Instead I got me 5 grouse.
The funny thing was that the grouse were shot with a big game load of 75 grs and PRB(2050-2100 FPS),and the squirrels with #5's,exept for two ,that were shot with the small game load of 20grs and PRB(970-1000 FPS).
I shot the grouse at the base of the neck and no meat was lost.Though I must admit that the first one shot ,I was saying to myself I hope it doesn't blow up on impact.Just one wing blew up and it was down.The rest of them were very similar and the range was between 5 to 45 yds
Have a look
Photo1233.jpg

Photo1208.jpg

Photo1203.jpg

Photo1197.jpg

As soon as I saw the black squirrels I knew you were from Ontario. I am about 2 hours from you. Close to Arthur or Fergus.

PJC

The rifle is a Verner kit that put together back in January.I deviated from what it was suposed to be to what I wanted it to be.Had it been done back in the days by the real Verner, It would have looked just about the same, or I would have walked away from the deal.The originals have too much bling bling for my taste.

The Verners are my favorite style but I havn't had the nerve to buy a kit and a custom is out of my reach! I would also get rid of some bling, your rifle looks perfect! Where did you buy the kit?

Great story! Now that is some fine shooting. I'm interested in hearing more about your duel load. If you get a chance, I would love to hear your combination.
David

Love the black squirrels. Would like to get one and have a mount done. They are very rare in my neck of the woods, only seen a couple and that was up in NY state and Vermont.

Latest posts

Back